CFA CFA General Results thread – vote your result and post any questions / discussions you have here!

Results thread – vote your result and post any questions / discussions you have here!

• Author
      Keymaster
        • CFA Charterholder
        Up
        ::

Indicate your actual results when you receive them – all anonymous of course! If you’d like to discuss results or ask a question, just pop them in this thread.

Keymaster
          • CFA Charterholder
          Up

Congrats @lucelaroo and @ravivooda! And welcome to the forum 🙂

Participant
            • Undecided
            Up

Congrats @Dr_Pain28! I passed as well 🙂

• Up

Hello @lucelaroo, @ravivooda, congrats and welcome!

Keymaster
              • CFA Charterholder
              Up

@shantala haven’t seen you in ages! Glad you made it 😉

Congrats to @krammer too!

• Up

@zee Thanks, after the exam I just wanted to get away from anything CFA-related until the results were announced! I’ve made several attempts to fill in the results analysis form (used Safari and Firefox browsers) but it keeps telling me that I haven’t filled in all the required fields. Did anybody else have the same problem?

Participant
                • CFA Charterholder
                Up

LEVEL 2 HERE I COME!!!

Keymaster
                  • CFA Charterholder
                  Up

@tacheman congrats!

@policedog
                  – I’m assuming you got your results?

• Up

Yay @Beancounter!

• Avatar of BeanCounterBeanCounter
                  Participant
                    • CFA Charterholder
                    Up

Thanks!

• Up

Level I Pass

– Your indicated grade: Pass
                    – Materials used: CFA Institute Curriculum, CFA Institute Practice Questions & Exams, Kaplan Schweser, 300Hours.com

– Your 40/60/80 score is: 64%
                    – Your minimum score is: 54%
                    – Your maximum score is: 76.3%

• Up

I passed Level 2, what a relief! I tried to enter the results analysis form, but it keeps telling me that I haven’t filled in all the required fields?

From the Level 1 results analysis posted here, it seems like the overall scores were higher than it was for the Dec 2012 Level 1 exam. I’ll repeat the advice to attempt Level 1 again for Dec if you failed this time.

• Up

Couldn’t agree more with @stt00007 and @AjFinance! thanks guys 🙂

Participant
                      • CFA Level 3
                      Up

@sethneha
                      It is entirely your decision whether to continue to pursue the charter, nobody can tell you what is right or wrong to do in your circumstance but how would you feel if you gave up just as your about to make the breakthrough?

@stt00007
                      thanks for the post.

yes, i want to make the breakthrough especially when i know i am this close. i flopped the exam but was proud of myself for getting >70% in FSA, Equity, PM and esp corporate finance (as i felt i goofed this one). this was the solace point for me.

but i still want to better the Ethics and is more of ego thing now that how could this one damm exam beat me and how could i let it beat myself. i want to take the hell out of the exam and give it back on its face!

i just don’t know if i have patience to wait for another year. if they were starting with Level II second attempt in this 2013 December then by all means i would happily register without thinking about it. one whole year is tad too much now…

• Up

@sethneha Sorry to hear about your results. I might not be able to relate to what you might be going through, but I noticed a few areas which you can work on.

1. You can skip the CFAI books if you want. Use it as a reference. I usually used it for the Ethics EOC questions while I was giving L2. For other topics, I used CFAI only if I had enough time.

2. You’ve seem to have used 3 service providers. I would suggest that you stick to one of them (One that you find most effective). I’ve always preferred Kaplan Schweser, but whatever works for you.

The reason I say this is when you add CFAI to the mix, you’re essentially using 4 sources of study materials. It can be confusing at times to study from different sources, speaking from personal experience.

only thing is if i’ll register again, i had plans to give my charter after earning it to take up a specific activity as full time. that’s why more questions on should i wait to earn my charter or at least clear the exams or not.

@sethneha
                      I didn’t get you. Are you referring to work experience requirements?

• Up

@sophie @vincentt haven’t registered, but will do so soon 🙂

Keymaster
                        • CFA Charterholder
                        Up

@vincentt we go a few layers deeper than a simple calculation. We take into account the actual possible scores based on how many questions would be possible.

As an example, if a topic category has 9 questions (18/240), the min scores are actually 0% (no questions right), 44% (4 questions right) and 56% (5 questions right), and max is 56% (5 questions right), 78% (7 questions right) and 100% (9 questions right).

This is calculated for each individual category, and gives us an even more accurate picture of what’s going on 😀

Keymaster
                          • CFA Charterholder
                          Up

@vincentt not at all – not many people take the trouble to read up about the history of MPS, haha.

• Up

Yay congrats @trust21 – we love your can-do spirit! Looking forward to see you around more often 😉

Keymaster
                            • CFA Charterholder
                            Up

Good luck for today L3 candidates!

Participant
                              • CFA Level 1
                              Up

Hi,

Is here anyone that passed Level I and is signing up for L2 without any preparations before? I am interested if this is worth doing 🙂

Cheers

• Up

– Your indicated grade: Fail – Band 10
                              – Materials used: CFA Institute Practice Questions & Exams, Kaplan Schweser, 300Hours.com

– Your 40/60/80 score is: 65%
                              – Your minimum score is: 56%
                              – Your maximum score is: 77.5%

🙁

Participant
                                • CFA Level 2
                                Up

Your indicated grade: Pass
                                – Materials used: Kaplan Schweser

– Your 40/60/80 score is: 66.3%
                                – Your minimum score is: 53.7%
                                – Your maximum score is: 80.7%

• Up

Nice one, @Dr_pain28 congratulations!

Participant
                                  • CFA Level 2
                                  Up

Oh, I just realised this means new badge too 😀

• Up

@PoliceDog, @Dan and all those who didnt make it, I know I might not be able to understand what you’re going through, coz each person might have a different situation. But I know one thing for sure, if you stay committed to your goal, then this failure will only spur you on to really ace it the next time.

Goodluck for the next exam guys 🙂

• Up

Congrats to everybody who passed! 🙂

Unfortunately I didn’t. And I was in band ten, which makes it quite painful… 🙁 And it was not ethics, but fixed income, of all areas, that was the deciding factor…

Still, I will sign up for December straight away.

@Sascha
                                  Tough luck.

On the other hand, you know what to target, where to devote more time while preparing next 🙂

Keymaster
                                    • CFA Charterholder
                                    Up

Nice one @jessekreger!!

@sascha
                                    unlucky. But glad you’re rebounding right away, and you can target June 2014 for Level II!

• Up

Mann, so close @sascha! Nevermind, next time you’ll squash it so flat that…. (and I can’t thrash talk that well :S) :)). You’ll have us for Dec!

• Up

whew 🙂

– Level 1
                                    – Materials used: CFA Institute Curriculum, Kaplan Schweser

– Your 40/60/80 score is: 74%
                                    – Your minimum score is: 65%
                                    – Your maximum score is: 91%

Participant
                                      • CFA Level 3
                                      Up

– Materials used: CFA Institute Practice Questions & Exams, Kaplan Schweser, 300Hours.com

– Your 40/60/80 score is: 74.5%
                                      – Your minimum score is: 64.1%
                                      – Your maximum score is: 90.1%

• Up

Even though I haven’t taken the exam yet, I want to say congratulations to all those who passed! And to those who didn’t make it…I am sorry. I’ve heard this exam is tough! I was gonna take it this December, but decided to wait because I couldn’t put in the required time. Good luck next time! And good luck on Level II for those who made it! 😀

Keymaster
                                        • CFA Charterholder
                                        Up

@zee Thanks, after the exam I just wanted to get away from anything CFA-related until the results were announced! I’ve made several attempts to fill in the results analysis form (used Safari and Firefox browsers) but it keeps telling me that I haven’t filled in all the required fields. Did anybody else have the same problem?

If there are unfilled-out fields they should have red indicators there… let me know if you still have issues!

Congrats @insomnomania!

• Up

Level 2

– Your indicated grade: Fail – Band 8
                                        – Materials used: CFA Institute Curriculum, CFA Institute Practice Questions & Exams, Kaplan Schweser

– Your 40/60/80 score is: 64.8%
                                        – Your minimum score is: 52.4%
                                        – Your maximum score is: 76.8%

• Up

Hi @sethneha, unfortunately when you feel like giving up your often on the cusp of a major breakthrough…”…they quit on the one yard line. They give up at the last minute of the game one foot from a winning touchdown.” – Ross Perot

For many years I have been trying to master the acoustic guitar, and by all accounts I’m terrible! I was desperate to learn how to play my favorite songs but however much I seemed to try I just couldn’t do it – got frustrated and gave up. Then I read a story about Eric Clapton and how in his early days he gave up playing the guitar 4 times because he just could not seem to grasp it. He was eventually so desperate to play he persisted through his frustrations and now he is considered one of the most important and influential guitarists of all time.

I have also had a similar experience recently. I moved to France (for work) and I have been trying to learn the language. My work paid for some French lessons but I just couldn’t seem to get it, worst of all I studied alongside an Italian boy and he creamed me at it – I felt like he was speaking fluently with the tutor where I was struggling to introduce myself.

If I were at home in the UK I would have thrown the towel in long ago, but everyday I hear people speaking French and I can’t help but try to interpret what they are saying. The beauty of my situation is that I am forced through circumstance to study everyday in small chucks with spaced repetition….anyways in the last few weeks I have made major breakthroughs. I have found myself being able to understand large parts of conversations and even participate.

It is entirely your decision whether to continue to pursue the charter, nobody can tell you what is right or wrong to do in your circumstance but how would you feel if you gave up just as your about to make the breakthrough?

• Up

Keen bean @tim!

Participant
                                          • CFA Level 3
                                          Up

@sethneha Sorry to hear about your results. I might not be able to relate to what you might be going through, but I noticed a few areas which you can work on.

1. You can skip the CFAI books if you want. Use it as a reference. I usually used it for the Ethics EOC questions while I was giving L2. For other topics, I used CFAI only if I had enough time.

2. You’ve seem to have used 3 service providers. I would suggest that you stick to one of them (One that you find most effective). I’ve always preferred Kaplan Schweser, but whatever works for you.

The reason I say this is when you add CFAI to the mix, you’re essentially using 4 sources of study materials. It can be confusing at times to study from different sources, speaking from personal experience.

@AjFinance
                                          , thanks for the post and detailed pointers.

1. this time i used CFAI books only for Ethics and as reference just to look up few topics for tid bit clarity on concepts. for first time i was overwhelmed by the size of CFAI books and ultra small font of the book that i didn’t dare to touch it apart from the EOC and examples from the book. for Level 1, i entirely studied only and only from CFAI books. they were like Bible for me for Level 1.

2. I only used Elan as my study provider. Kaplan books i always had but never used it, since level 1, i always felt Kaplan Schweser was a waste as it tend to miss few topics or never gave good explanation. it was just a showcase for me. I used Kaplan Schweser Mocks and 7 city for just add on mock papers.

and yes i agree too many providers tend to be confusing that’s why I solely studied from Elan Study Notes and Lectures this time and totally relied on that. I added these resources while filling the Level II analysis as they asked to write all that you used so even one time use i just wrote there. and Elan is good, it cleared lot of concepts for me with its lectures. i was waiting to sign it up for Level III…

3. As for mocks and formula, yes i would consider this and use it next time.

only thing is if i’ll register again, i had plans to give my charter after earning it to take up a specific activity as full time. that’s why more questions on should i wait to earn my charter or at least clear the exams or not.

Participant
                                            • CFA Level 3
                                            Up

@AjFinance

requirements is one thing. but what i referred to was i had wanted to give up my career and join in an volunteering activity on full time basis. i was just waiting to go after completing exams just to finish what i started but now that’s getting delayed and more delayed…

Participant
                                              • CFA Level 2
                                              Up

@sophie Ok awesome! I just want to get it to incorporate it into my new study plan for L2.

Keymaster
                                                • CFA Charterholder
                                                Up

@Dr_pain28 the report will be a few weeks after the Level III results, so probably early September. Will be in time for the start of your 2014 prep, no worries! 😉

Participant
                                                  • CFA Level 2
                                                  Up

@Zee Awesome! That will be perfect.

Keymaster
                                                    • CFA Charterholder
                                                    Up

@vincentt that’s not right.

This may be stemming from confusion from the previous CFAI method of determining the MPS. It used to be that they would take a sample of the highest scoring candidates and use that as a denominator, and the MPS would be fixed at 70%.

• Avatar of Dr_Pain28Dr_Pain28
                                                    Participant
                                                      • CFA Level 2
                                                      Up

I just passed! 3 for 3!

• Avatar of PBJACOBS90PBJACOBS90
                                                      Participant
                                                        • CFA Level 1
                                                        Up

NO submit button

• Avatar of torofutotorofuto
                                                        Participant
                                                          • CFA Level 1
                                                          Up

If anyone has insights on how to improve, I am all ears (and eyes)

• Up

Nice one @Tacheman! Congrats!

• Up

what is 40/60/80 score?

• Avatar of mattycmattyc
                                                          Participant
                                                            • CFA Charterholder
                                                            Up

So pumped right now!

– Materials used: CFA Institute Practice Questions & Exams, Kaplan Schweser, 300Hours
                                                            – Your 40/60/80 score is: 73%
                                                            – Your minimum score is: 64%
                                                            – Your maximum score is: 89.5%

• Avatar of Zee TanZee Tan
                                                            Keymaster
                                                              • CFA Charterholder
                                                            • Up

Congrats to everybody who passed! 🙂

Unfortunately I didn’t. And I was in band ten, which makes it quite painful… 🙁 And it was not ethics, but fixed income, of all areas, that was the deciding factor…

Still, I will sign up for December straight away.

• Up

Passed level 1, big thanks to the community here.

– Materials used: CFA Institute Practice Questions & Exams, Kaplan
                                                              Schweser, Elan Guides

– Your 40/60/80 score is: 79.3%
                                                              – Your minimum score is: 70.3%
                                                              – Your maximum score is: 99%

Keymaster
                                                                • CFA Charterholder
                                                                Up

awesome @swift! I’m really pleased for ya!

• Up

– Your 40/60/80 score is: 79%
                                                                – Your minimum score is: 70%
                                                                – Your maximum score is: 98.5%

• Avatar of sethnehasethneha
                                                                Participant
                                                                  • CFA Level 3
                                                                  Up

Second attempt at Level II:

– Your indicated grade: Fail – Band 7
                                                                  – Materials used: CFA Institute Curriculum, CFA Institute Practice Questions & Exams, Kaplan Schweser, 7city, Elan Guides

– Your 40/60/80 score is: 65.9%
                                                                  – Your minimum score is: 49.1%
                                                                  – Your maximum score is: 80.1%

I don’t know if I have the patience and perseverance more to go through Level 2 for the third time !
                                                                  Last time band was 5. This time i killed my ego for studying from CFAI books, as last time i got bogged down by immense vastness of endless explanations in the CFAI curriculum. that took so much time that i wasn’t left with time to practice as immediately after level 1 Dec 2011 jumped to Level 2.

but for June 2013 attempt, i didn’t repeat that, i used Elan Notes, put my ego aside to study from CFAI books. and i am somebody who doesn’t study from lecture videos, but used that too so that had all explanations of concepts again and again if i lose out on something. I don’t believe it Ethics again did me in, rest all was fine. i knew i messed up alternative and fixed income during the exam. with these two , it was exactly the situation “you-know-how-to-solve something-and- have-solved-before-but-now-not-able-to-recall-how-to-do-it” i couldn’t do anything more to help it that time 😐 All sections improved >70% but Ethics again <=50%. i just don't understand how could i blew it off again!!!? it's very disheartening to see people who started after me (that is this person gave level 1 in June 2012, when i wrote level 2 for the first time. that too he's without any finance background and in IT) he will be going for Level 3 next time and am still stuck at Level 2. though i met this another person who gave level 1 first time in Dec 2011 with me and probably gave 3rd or 4th attempt to level 1 in June 2013. Hats off to him for keep giving it again and again. probably had i not cleared Level 1 in one attempt, i would have given up long back... i am not registering right away again unlike last attempt. Last attempt i slept hardly 4 hours a night before the exam so knew that was another potential factor for blowing away the exam. this time i made sure i slept by 9 pm also.. as for verification, i clicked on: I didn't pass 🙁 I'm going to wait a while before thinking about registering... i am sorry for writing this much but am quite shattered.. 🙁

• Avatar of vincenttvincentt
                                                                  Participant
                                                                    • CFA Level 3
                                                                    Up

@zee ah u used that method. However, I remember reading somewhere that says if the highest (among all candidates) for that topic is say 90% (just an example). The score will be something like 4/6 (4 questions right out of 6) divided by 90% so instead of the 66.67% you will be getting 74.1%.

I’m not 100% sure if this was from the official sources.

Participant
                                                                      • CFA Level 3
                                                                      Up

@zee my bad! but good to know now !

• Avatar of deLdeL
                                                                      Participant
                                                                        • Undecided
                                                                        Up

WHERE IS THE “SUBMIT” BUTTON? HOLY JESUS, WHERE?!

• Avatar of AkhilAkhil
                                                                        Participant
                                                                          • CFA Level 1
                                                                          Up

Hi,

I scored band 10 in L1. Plz give me suggestions for preparing for exam.

• Avatar of policedogpolicedog
                                                                          Participant
                                                                            • Undecided
                                                                            Up

🙁

Participant
                                                                              • Undecided
                                                                              Up

@zee yep, and it ain’t good.

Ah well, try again next time.

Keymaster
                                                                                • CFA Charterholder
                                                                                Up
                                                                                1

We’ll process the results as soon as we can – analysis should be in a few weeks’ time!

Keymaster
                                                                                  • CFA Charterholder
                                                                                  Up
                                                                                  1

@alta12 40/60/80 score is an approximation of where your actual score probably was, using a 40% weighting assumption for the <50% bucket, 60% weighting for 50-70%, and 80% for the >70% bucket.

Our analysis tool does that for you – just go to https://www.300hours.com/analyze-results.html to get your results analyzed.

The assumptions and calculations go into a bit more detailed – it optimizes for the number of questions possible depending on the level and topic to get a better read than a simple 40/60/80 weighting. More information here: https://www.300hours.com/1/post/2013/07/everything-you-need-to-know-about-the-cfa-results-day.html

• Up
                                                                                  1

@Tacheman, @Snippy, @Dr_Pain28 and all those who passed, Congratulations to all of you! Take a bow 🙂 ^:)^

• Avatar of BeanCounterBeanCounter
                                                                                  Participant
                                                                                    • CFA Charterholder
                                                                                    Up
                                                                                    1

Really didn’t expect this.

– Materials used: CFA Institute Curriculum, CFA Institute Practice Questions & Exams, Elan Guides

– Your 40/60/80 score is: 81.3%
                                                                                    – Your minimum score is: 74.1%
                                                                                    – Your maximum score is: 98.4%

Anxiety not helped by being on vacation and with only intermittent cell service (and a failing battery) – and the email not arriving for an hour.

Level 3 here I come!

• Up
                                                                                    1

Your indicated grade: Pass
                                                                                    – Materials used: Stalla

– Your 40/60/80 score is: 66.0%
                                                                                    – Your minimum score is: 52.9%
                                                                                    – Your maximum score is: 80.3%

Ecstatic given the little time I was able to devote to test prep. Looking forward to Level 2 prep – this fall.

• Up
                                                                                    1

thanks zee!

• Up
                                                                                    1

Delighted to pass with >70% in all topics.

Materials used: CFA Institute material, Kaplan Schweser

– Your 40/60/80 score is: 80%
                                                                                    – Your minimum score is: 71%
                                                                                    – Your maximum score is: 100%

Can’t wait to register and study for Level 2!

• Up
                                                                                    1

Yay @Shantala, @swift, @insomnomania, congrats!

@Cfadict
                                                                                    – sorry to hear that, giving it another go next June?

Keymaster
                                                                                      • CFA Charterholder
                                                                                      Up
                                                                                      1

hey @sethneha – sorry to hear that. It is a bit disheartening as you say to see others catch up with you, I can definitely relate to that.

Hopefully our analysis this time can shed even more light on what could be done better to approach the exams…

• Up
                                                                                      1

3. Try and get through enough practice exams. Also, at the same time, make sure that you have enough time to analyse your performance, get back to the drawing board and plug the gaps between these exams.

In other words, make sure that all your practice exams count and that you get to improve with each of them. Maybe that wouldn’t necessarily reflect on your score, but you should definitely feel more comfortable as you move along.

4. I don’t know about how you dealt with the formulas. But it can help to keep a separate formula sheet. Keep going through it regularly and try to write the formulas down on a piece of paper as a part of your practice. Especially during your last 2 months.

Maybe you’re already doing most of the above, I just wrote what I felt you might be missing.

I won’t push you that you register for the next level. Because thats all about your personal choice and situation. I know its hard to see someone else catch up with you, but just try to stay focussed on your goal.

Its like a track sprint, some people will have a headstart, but sooner rather than later you’ll cross the finish line, if you focus on your side of the track and consistently push ahead without worrying about others catching up. Goodluck 🙂

Participant
                                                                                        • CFA Level 3
                                                                                        Up
                                                                                        1

@tim that soon?! for next june?

• Avatar of Dr_Pain28Dr_Pain28
                                                                                        Participant
                                                                                          • CFA Level 2
                                                                                          Up
                                                                                          1

Are you guys going to compile a results report for the 2013 test? If so when will it be available for purchase? Not to rush you or anything.

• Avatar of AmirElmasriAmirElmasri
                                                                                          Participant
                                                                                            • CFA Level 1
                                                                                            Up
                                                                                            1

I need to understand how they interpret the score bands?

• Up
                                                                                            1

Passed L3 first shot and got the right to use the charter same-day! I’d been a regular member for a while before that. Glad to be done!

Keymaster
                                                                                              • CFA Charterholder
                                                                                              Up
                                                                                              1
                                                                                              Lagarta said:
                                                                                              Passed L3 first shot and got the right to use the charter same-day! I’d been a regular member for a while before that. Glad to be done!

Nice one @Lagarta – congrats!!

• Avatar of skconnectskconnect
                                                                                              Participant
                                                                                                • Undecided
                                                                                                Up
                                                                                                1

?

• Avatar of SnippySnippy
                                                                                                Participant
                                                                                                  • CFA Level 2
                                                                                                  Up
                                                                                                  0

– Materials used: CFA Institute Practice Questions & Exams, Kaplan Schweser, Elan Guides, 300Hours.com

– Your 40/60/80 score is: 71%
                                                                                                  – Your minimum score is: 62%
                                                                                                  – Your maximum score is: 86.5%

Participant
                                                                                                    • Undecided
                                                                                                    Up
                                                                                                    0

– Your indicated grade: Fail – Band 8

– Your 40/60/80 score is: 60%
                                                                                                    – Your minimum score is: 52%%
                                                                                                    – Your maximum score is: 76.2%

• Up
                                                                                                    0

Registering today!!! 😀

• Up
                                                                                                    0

Yes we will @Dr_Pain28. We’ll give it another week or so for results collection before we start working on it. It won’t be too long 🙂 The more data we have the better the report (says the data nerd in me)!

Participant
                                                                                                      • CFA Level 3
                                                                                                      Up
                                                                                                      0

@zee i realised the report % that was generated from the 300 hours results analysis doesn’t quite match the numbers that i’ve got.

Just to confirm, the actual figure you used matches the follows:
                                                                                                      max score -> 50%, 70% and 100%
                                                                                                      min score -> 0%, 51% and 71%

• Up
                                                                                                      0

I’m late to this party, but I wanted to say that I passed L1 after failing band 9 in December.

I ended up turning most of my weaknesses into strengths and this forum/blog has been an immense help. The people on this site are always positive, and it really helped me chug through those few months where I was dreading another failure.

Congrats to those who passed; and to those who didn’t, I am a bit of proof that you should keep at it!

Keymaster
                                                                                                        • CFA Charterholder
                                                                                                        Up
                                                                                                        0

@AmirElmasri Band 1 is the lowest-scoring category, while Band 10 is the highest-scoring fail category. There’s no exact or consistent definition of the points between score bands – they’re just indicative. Hope this helps!

• Avatar of deLdeL
                                                                                                        Participant
                                                                                                          • Undecided
                                                                                                          Up
                                                                                                          0

deL said:

WHERE IS THE “SUBMIT” BUTTON? HOLY JESUS, WHERE?!

I JUST CAN’T FIND THIS SUBMIT THING!

Viewing 83 reply threads
                                                                                                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.