Career Discussions Engineer to Finance

Engineer to Finance

• Author
      ::

Recently graduated with a degree in Chemical Engineering and have a very solid job right out of college as a Process Engineer. I’ve been quite interested in Finance for some time now and passed L1 this June and will be looking to take L2 next June.

Simply looking for feedback as to how I’d go about this transition…

• Up

@pranav, FYI you could also “star” conversations you wanna follow on the top right, near the title of this thread.

• Up

@Sophie, I’m working at Intel currently and have a solid working knowledge/background with the oil industry through my degree/prior experience. I believe that combo would work well in an equity research arena primarily focusing on a sector that I can relate to: (technology/energy/oil & gas/etc).

That being said, I’d also be interested in a portfolio analytics position where I could leverage my quantitative background (love math) and my interest in managing my own portfolio.

During the time before I begin studying for L2, I plan on contributing to Seeking Alpha as I enjoy fundamental analysis of companies I’m interested in as well as writing in general.

• Up

Hi @bearsfan2690 – I also work in the Semiconductor Industry, looking to move into equity research. I work as a business analyst and have a postgraduate in Investment Analysis. From my experience, however, investment houses often desire people from diverse backgrounds; you have the benefit of having an intimate working knowledge of an industry – something analysts spend a career trying to achieve.

Be careful not to pigeonhole yourself as an expert on Industry X though as you will only limit your applications. Better to talk about how you have an appreciation of the economics of these industries, as this is a transferable skill.

Also, you could try applying to Joel Greenblatts Value Investors Club – admission is very selective and limited to only 250 members. Its very difficult to gain membership but if you have enough time its worth a go, it would demonstrate your analytic abilities. I think you can win $5k for the top recommendation of the week as well!

• Up

I think you’re on track @bearsfan2690. Your pitch about leveraging your industry knowledge in the sector-based equity research is spot on, and one of the ways you can differentiate yourselves from other candidates and bring relevance of your current experience to your target role.

I wrote a piece about career switching recently too, I hope it helps as it details some of my experiences doing this as well 🙂

• Up

oh btw I have to rope in one of our frequent forum members @vincentt – he’s currently in IT and recently passed Level 2 too, famed for all the excellent questions he asks in the forum 😉 He’s a great role model for you to say that it can be done! Level 2 is quite a steep learning curve even for those who have done finance, but he did it fine!

• Up

i am in a similar situation, except for the clearing L1 part. posting here to track this thread…

• Up

Hi @bearsfan2690, welcome to 300HC. There are quite a few engineers and people from non-finance background here like you, so no worries.

Taking the CFA is a good first step to transition. What part of finance are you looking for in terms of a job? The next step would be to tailor your CV for that sort of finance role. We have lots of materials on the website, but before I recommend anything specific it helps to have a better idea of your goals 🙂

• Up

@altins, @kthomasjoseph are also candidates from non-finance background, you’re not alone!

• Up

@sophie, great thanks, that’s one tiny star 😀

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.