CFA CFA Level 2 There should be a Level 2 and 3 in December too.

There should be a Level 2 and 3 in December too.

• Author
      ::

I’m finding myself really wishing that Leve 2 was available in December too. At least if things don’t work out this time around I get another chance 6 months later. To be honest CFA Institute already does the Level 1 in Dec – how difficult could it be to throw in Level 2 and 3 too?

Thoughts?

Participant
        • CFA Level 2
        Up

Or taking all three at once. I bet there are some crazies in this world who would actually manage that.

Say whhuuuuuut. All 3. Ermahgerd

8-}

• Up

That’s a really good point @imdnextbuffet – at L2 you’re ‘hooked’.

Participant
          • CFA Level 1
          Up

Then @Sophie can just redo the exams in 12 months! [-X

• Up

Whilst it’s a pain to have to wait 12 months to retake L2 or L3, I quite like the fact it is an annual exam as it makes it feel more exclusive!

I feel that way too. But full disclosure – I would probably not feel that way if I had to battle through Level 2 again… 🙂

• Up

I think I’d be the grumpiest person if they were arranged that close!

But for a shorter time.

Participant
            • CFA Charterholder
            Up

It’s a bit hardcore for me!

• Up

Or taking all three at once. I bet there are some crazies in this world who would actually manage that.

• Up

Say whhuuuuuut. All 3. Ermahgerd

8-}

• Up

That’s a really good point @imdnextbuffet – at L2 you’re ‘hooked’.

I know, its just that I talk and convince myself too much in many topics by myself, when I had this same question, this is what I came up with.

• Up

I’d be annoyed if they offered level 2 and 3 twice a year. I don’t think I could clear all the levels back to back in one go.

• Up

but @Sophie I was thinking, I do get a 6 weeks break in-between. That should be enough time to resurface and become re-acquainted with all my friends and show them that I am indeed alive and well if not a little crazier due to all the studying :p

Participant
              • Undecided
              Up

I don’t see why not. Sure would help when I get to Level 2.

• Up

I think the current things that might be preventing this from happening is:

1. There aren’t too many Level 2 and 3 candidates here. There is a ‘candidate funnel’ where there’s a huge number of Level 1s, hence the need for 2 sessions. If they split Level 2 and 3 too, they need to set a new set of exams, fly the examiners over another time, etc etc. Too messy.

2. Might be a way to control CFA charterholder numbers. After all, you only get to full CFA after passing Level 3, so as long as they control level 3 numbers and frequency they’re fine.

• Up

It would be nice for candidates, but ultimately there isn’t any benefit for the CFA Institute. I wouldn’t expect that to happen anytime soon, unless the volume of Level II and III candidates increases significantly.

• Up

I think I’d be the grumpiest person if they were arranged that close!

• Up

I’d be annoyed if they offered level 2 and 3 twice a year. I don’t think I could clear all the levels back to back in one go.

But you’d be tempted to try? 😀

• Up

@Sophie I hope by the time they get enough candidates interested to be able to support a change in frequency, I’ll be too busy grumbling about yearly membership cost. :p

• Up

@jimmyg exactly! There’s no need for a plan B, because all the does is distract from plan A!

• Up

Whilst it’s a pain to have to wait 12 months to retake L2 or L3, I quite like the fact it is an annual exam as it makes it feel more exclusive!

• Up

@jimmyg I face each exam with the mantra that failure it not an option.

If I fail….well I’ll figure that out when it comes to that….

Participant
                • CFA Level 2
                Up

12 months would be so darned hardcore for all 3 levels :-O

• Up

@jimmyg I would be. Actually it wouldn’t be that tricky if I I try to do back to back if I am unemployed, have no responsibilities and no boyfriend. I have the odds stacked in my favour!

• Up

LOL @Diya. I think I’d burn out from L2 to L3 though. The 4 months studying thing can only be done once… after that I’d need punchbags in my house and a baseball bat.

• Up

Ah yes, @Diya, I somehow did forget that brief break. So I gather that’s challenge accepted? If they ever change the frequency of L2 and L3, that is…

• Up

I’ll be too busy grumbling about yearly membership cost. :p

I would love to have that problem by the end of this year!

• Up

I prefer 12 months. Makes for more skin in the game, and makes me want to pass more. No safety nets required!

• Up

@fabian I believe they didn’t keep L2 & L3 semi-annually like L1 because for the reason being like this. Imagine if you enroll for the exam L1, if you tend not to clear the exam L1 (and if you would be able to attempt it once in a year) in one go, most of the exam takers would get discouraged to wait for the entire year for L1 in the mean time they even might drop the idea of doing CFA. But in the case of L2 it’s ok to have once in a year because “I think” that most fail takers would not mind to wait and prepare for the exam and come back with bang (knowing the portion is challenging and vast too I guess) so having L2 & L3 once in a year is justified by my some kind of explanation. And IMO I doubt anyone would leave CFA if they once enter officially in to the program by clearing L1.

P.s. I too would like L2 & L3 conducted twice a year 😀 lol

Viewing 27 reply threads
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.