CFA CFA Level 3 Any Level III tips?

Any Level III tips?

• Author
      ::

I’m working through the syllabus at the moment and it seems fairly conceptual (and sometimes suspiciously straightforward) compared to Level II.

What’s the catch? What do I have to watch out for? Thanks in advance guys!

• Up

Try and get a taste of an essay practice exam as early as possible.

• Up

Level III is a lot more conceptual, but the true nature of the beast is the essay paper.

Although I also found the material a lot easier to understand, the essay format of the paper made it much harder – I didn’t do well in the essay section at all. This also is demonstrated in our CFA Analysis Report – we found that Level III candidates did significantly worse in the essay section.

Read up on our Analysis Report and the Level III Commandments for the full set of tips!

Got it – material is OK – it’s the format that kills you? Gotta hit the practice exams then.

• Up

It’s not as clear cut actually. I did the practice papers too, but somehow it didn’t help much as I was clueless in many questions and probably didn’t take it too seriously. And then the exam fiasco happened where I forgot my time management totally and didn’t finish the questions in the morning exam….

So guys, the format will throw you off a little, do take your practice papers seriously (timed), and don’t be too discouraged if your answers are not the same word for word…. There’s quite a lot of conceptual stuff that you need to remember (and quote) for Level III. It’s either you know it or not in the exams (there’s no multiple choices to guess this time!)

• Up

@fabian – check out the extensive list of Level II tips here

@artyeasel
      – both you and @christine is right. Conceptual stuff is easy to read and glimpse through, but also doesn’t stick in your mind very well! Managing time and using the right technique with the essays is key. My Level III post goes into these in detail….

• Up

Thanks @sophie!

• Up

Level III is a lot more conceptual, but the true nature of the beast is the essay paper.

Although I also found the material a lot easier to understand, the essay format of the paper made it much harder – I didn’t do well in the essay section at all. This also is demonstrated in our CFA Analysis Report – we found that Level III candidates did significantly worse in the essay section.

Read up on our Analysis Report and the Level III Commandments for the full set of tips!

• Up

If you’ve got any level 2 tips for me in turn, that’d be much appreciated! 🙂

• Up

Got it – material is OK – it’s the format that kills you? Gotta hit the practice exams then.

I’ve heard the essay paper can be pretty brutal.

• Up

I had a peek and was a bit rattled, to be honest. Like @sophie said, it’s either I knew it (very few questions), or I totally didn’t know what they were on about (most of the questions).

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.