CFA CFA Level 1 CFA Level I Study Packages

CFA Level I Study Packages

• Author
      ::

I need help/guidance regarding 7City vs. Elan. Due to personal challenges the past 4 months, I’m just getting started studying and need all the help I can get. I’m overwhelmed with choices and just need to get on a solid track. I’d like a lot of practices questions or mock exams and audio or video would be very helpful. Can anyone share a few thoughts?

• Up

Unfortunately I haven’t used either and I didn’t even know of their existence until I started browsing forums. Is there a reason why you excluded Schweser from possible choices? I used Schweser for level I and I am currently using it for level II. They offer practice exams and they have a question bank that is really helpful and has enough questions to keep you busy for a long time!

• Up

I haven’t personally used 7city, but Elan’s videos are awesome. They have more than 90 hours of lectures for Level I. Does anyone know how many hours 7city has?

Also, Elan has 5 volumes of proper study guides. 7 city’s “study guide” is just slides.

• Up

I passed Levels 1 and 2 with 7city, would highly recommend!

Participant
        • CFA Charterholder
        Up

I’d say the issue is not really the method but the time constraint though. Like @christine said, be strict with your program and make sure you stick to it and don’t fall behind. Good luck @CFACountdown!

• Up

Thanks for sharing your experience with Elan @cfaguru! My understanding is 7city has 100-120 hours of online lectures.

Yes the learning style of 7City is different. Their slide style format works better for those who prefer interactive learning.

• Up

I’m not sure if this is true, but I’ve heard that Elan guides have more typos. I have a friend who’s currently using Elan. The notes do seem to cover more material than Schweser, but they do not seem as well-organized.

Participant
          • CFA Level 1
          Up

Hi @CFACountdown, I hope you are feeling better on things.

On the books, I had a similiar question a while back, and went for Elan, mainly as I’m self funded and it’s slightly cheaper.

Both the materials are of good quality, the main reason I chose Elan is because I didn’t need the video lectures.

I understand that 7City has a huge online portal for video lectures (3,000 practice questions, study planner, progress tests, instructor recordings), and with its recent partnership with Wiley, the study guides are good from reviews. Both come with mocks and practice questions.

So for you, assuming you prefer to have video lectures access, Elan’s “Ultimate Prep Package” ($700, hard copy) or 7City’s “Self Study Premium” ($695) is what you are looking for. Not much price difference between both.

If I had to choose, I’d go for 7City in your case since they have a huge resources on their online portal with lectures notes and a study planner, which would be useful for your tight study schedule.

With both options you can get additional discounts through 300Hours, using the codes here.

Hope this helps, and let us know how things are going!

• Up

Are you not using Elan @CFAin80days? It seems so from your profile? *confused*

• Up

I passed Levels 1 and 2 with 7city, would highly recommend!

Are you company-sponsored @MattJuniper?

• Up

Yes, which helps as the overall costs are high!

• Up

Thank you Diya. Schweser seemed a little more voluminous in material and I only have about 60 days. I got the feeling they both offer more practice questions and mock tests, but I have not verified. I was hoping someone might have tried one or both.

• Up

@CFACountdown, @Maroon5’s recommendation would make sense for your situation. I had a chance to look through and play around with 7City’s portal myself. It’s a solid online tool with study planners, practice exams and lecture videos and notes etc.

In the old days I used to have to mark questions myself, but times have changed! Now you can save tons of time on practice questions as its marked digitally, and best part is they will highlight topics you’re weaker in and you can focus on improving those scores efficiently.

Viewing 12 reply threads
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.