CFA CFA Level 1 Will passing CFA really helps to get a foothold in finance for someone from customer service?

Will passing CFA really helps to get a foothold in finance for someone from customer service?

• Author
      ::

Hi guys,
      I am very new to this blog and found it really interesting. I thought my question will certainly be answered here as I saw how people here are giving genuine thought to the queries and giving useful advice. I would be really thankful if I could get some input as to how I should go about heralding a wonderful career in finance.
      Firstly I would like to tell you something about me and about my dilemma. I am a commerce graduate and have around 4 years of experience in back office jobs in BPOs. I have faced lots of obstacles in my life financially and also otherwise because of which I could not plan my career. And I am already 30 years old now. Will this act as a hindrance to start off a career in finance at this stage?
      I have enrolled for CFA level 1 and will write my exam in Dec 2014. I am not very good with numbers but I love reading anything about finance. I don’t know even if I pass exams (though a tough task) I will ever be able to get a good job in finance. Will my age and my non finance experience will still be a decisive factor in not being considered for good jobs. Pleaseeeeeeeee give your responses!!!!!!!!!!!

Keymaster
        • CFA Charterholder
        Up

Hey @mdrehan4

The CFA charter helps in a finance job hunt, but it doesn’t automatically entitle you to one. The latter part is important – candidates should realise that there is a lot more to finding an attractive finance job besides ‘getting a qualification’. That’s the reason why we cover a lot of job-hunting advice in the blog as well. CV-writing, interviewing and networking are equally, if not more important than the CFA exams if you’re specifically after a job.

I don’t think any factor can really serve as a decisive factor in denying you jobs. It’s true that your CV may put you at an disadvantage to others, but you then counter that with aggressive networking – you should be at an advantage in connections compared to fresh grads. You may also find that you can find a suitable job, but perhaps not at the level of seniority you’d like. In the end you’ll have to compare each scenario and make a personal choice.

We have a few sections that will help you further:

Career Advice: http://www.300hours.com/view-all-articles.html#tab7
        Industry Insights: http://www.300hours.com/view-all-articles.html#tab5

Keymaster
          • CFA Charterholder
          Up

No problem @mdrehan4!

• Up

Thank you so much, Zee. I really appreciate the time and effort you have taken in giving an elaborate reply to my query. Your response gave me an insight as to how I should go about it.

Viewing 3 reply threads
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.