CFA CFA Level 3 Can we use Pencil to write the AM exam?

Can we use Pencil to write the AM exam?

• Author
      Participant
        • CFA Level 3
        Up
        ::

@Sophie‌ , @alta12, @vincentt, @AjFinance‌ One of my friend just asked this question. Is it ok if we write the complete AM exam using pencil. I dont remember seeing any instructions. Can you please help.

Participant
          • CFA Level 3
          Up

@RaviVooda‌ Definitely pen, it’s much quicker. I know you can erase with pencil, but i’m sure you can neatly strike off unwanted text and continue writing after it. Based on 2013’s paper, they do provide you with lots of space in the answer sheets.

Participant
            • CFA Level 3
            Up

@AjFinance‌ haha actually someone who sat next to me in L2 was stacking his pencil like this

Obviously not that high up, but at least 5 levels. lol.

Participant
              • CFA Level 3
              Up

I felt super prepared last year when I had 4 pencils and didn’t mind lending one to a colleague who had only brought one. This seems excessive 😀

Participant
                • CFA Level 3
                Up

@vincentt‌ , below text from CFAI website. It says we cannot. How are you planning to write?

http://www.cfainstitute.org/programs/cfaprogram/exams/Pages/policies.aspx

Completing Your Essay Book
                Essay Answers for Level III AM Session
                It is your responsibility to complete the essay book correctly to ensure all information is accurately recorded during grading and your results are correctly reported back to you. When completing your essay book:

Use blue or black ink. You must bring your own pen on exam day. Testing personnel will not provide writing instruments to candidates.
                Write your CFA Institute ID and seat number on the front cover of your exam book.
                Sign the candidate pledge inside the front cover. Do not remove the candidate pledge card.
                Essay answers must be written in English.
                Each essay question consists of one or more parts (A, B, C, etc.). Some parts direct you to write your answer in a template. Instructions in bold print immediately following the question direct you to the page number of each template. Answer all other questions on the lined page(s) following the question. For these questions, label each part of your answer clearly (A, B, C, or i, ii, iii, etc.).
                Answers on question pages will not be graded. You may make marks and notes on the question pages.

Participant
                  • CFA Level 3
                  Up

@AjFinance‌ maybe we can put a big cross on the circled answer and recircle a new one?

• Up

@vincent‌ Ever thought of this ?

Participant
                    • CFA Level 3
                  • Up

@RaviVooda‌ You can use either pen or pencil. As @vincentt mentioned, you can strike off wrong answer. Also, the quality of paper is such that if you use a good pencil, it’ll be dark enough and legible. And you can use mechanical pencils if you think sharpening will take up time. So don’t worry about it. I’m usually paranoid with what would happen if I circled a wrong option with a pen in the table provided, would be hard to strike off a circle 😛

• Up

@vincentt‌ Yea probably 🙂

Participant
                      • CFA Level 3
                      Up

@vincentt, thanks. I am also comfortable with pen only. Dont want to waste time sharpening the pencil. For questions that come with box, I am thinking to use pencil though. Not sure if we will really have that much time to go back and check, else will try to write small letters so that I can cross and write

Participant
                        • CFA Level 3
                        Up

@RaviVooda‌ after 2 levels of multiple choice, I’m not too worried, but for AM i’m pretty sure i’ll be short of time, so i’m not too worried that I will have time to go back, re-read and change my answer, but use what’s comfortable to you also @alta12 has confirmed this with CFAI https://300hours.com/f/cfa/level-3/t/using-pencil-for-morning-section/#latest

Viewing 11 reply threads
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.