Career Discussions Am I too old to get a CFA?

Am I too old to get a CFA?

• Author
      ::

I am 35 years old, and recently (3 years ago) transitioned into finance from my previous career in post production. I was doing investing on the side and it got to the point where it seemed that I should do that full time since it is where my passion lies. Not having any guidance or role models in the business, I spent a good deal of time in vain going for a CFP. After two failed attempts, I realized that I just am not that interested in Estate Planning or Charitable remainder Trusts.

I worked for a small independent financial planner, but that was cut short as he had a serious family illness put his one-man shop on hold. I then went to work at a wirehouse as an ‘advisor’. This role is 95% sales, and while great for some, it is not well suited for my personality type, and I’d like to make an immediate change over to the portfolio management or institutional side. As I go through hundreds of job postings, I see CFA candidate mentioned in about 70% of them. That is why I want to pursue this. I’m not tied down with kids and my wife is very supportive. I’m just wondering has this ship already sailed for in me in the eyes of future employers.

Keymaster
        • CFA Charterholder
        Up

@Yomaha‌ you’re so not too old to get a CFA charter! I still see candidates who have easily 20,30 years on you who are going for it.

• Up

thanks for the feedback!  Good to know!

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.