Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

CFA Events Calendar

View full calendar

CFA Events Calendar

View full calendar

Recommended Discussions

See how our partners can help you ace your CFA exams.

Out of school for a while

Hello,

I graduated back in 2006  with a BS in Finance and after some years in the army (one of which spent on a combat tour in Afghanistan) and some more years working in finance/banking I am still interested in possibly starting the CFA.  I am concerned that I have forgotten a lot in the time Ive been away from school.  For instance I havent used an HP 12 C in over 5 years.  I tutored my wife durring her finance section for her MBA so I haven't lost everything. 

Is there any advice regarding how I could best prepare and/or additional things to do so that this doesnt turn into a waste of money or time.

Any advice or similar experiences would be greatly appreciated.

Muneera

Comments

• ZeeZee London - UKPosts: 1,541 Jr Partner
    Hey @Chris7906‌ 

I doubt this will be 'a waste of money and time' simply because you've forgotten your school material. Many candidates (myself included) started with a base knowledge of finance of 0 (in our analysis report we find that this doesn't influence performance at all, in fact the opposite is true). 

@Sophie‌ can comment more about this as she's economics-trained before CFA, but she also has mentioned many times that CFA Level I starts with the basics and should be perfectly doable, especially if you're also currently in finance.
    Chris7906
  • bostonCFA2014bostonCFA2014 Boston, MAPosts: 7 Associate

I was in a similar circumstance, graduated w/ a BS in Finance in 2004 and just sat for L1 this June. It's frustrating initially because a lot of the material will seem vaguely familiar but ultimately you'll need to put in work to reacquire your understanding. Like Zee said, you're actually in a better  spot than some candidates and once you get going it will come back to you. Start early and put in the work and you'll be OK.

Chris7906
  • SophieSophie Posts: 1,981 Jr Partner

Hey @Chris7906‌ - @zee and @bostonCFA2014‌ are right. CFA is great in that it brings everyone on the same page, CFA level 1 is very do-able even to beginners with no finance background (or if you've forgotten most stuff like most of us do). I wouldn't worry about it at all - it may be easier for candidates with relevant finance background for Level 1, but we will all find Level 2 and 3 challenging anyway. 

@vincentt can share his experience here for sure. He's a software engineering/IT background and has done extremely well so far learning finance from scratch through CFA, passing the exams (L1 and L2) consecutively, using this forum extensively to ask/discuss questions. He's a recent L3 candidate and is waiting for results. 

Chris7906