Career Discussions Change career

Change career

• Author
      ::

Hi everyone,

I’m considering change from accounting to finance. But I am at my early 40s, is it too old to restart a new field? If I register level 1 now, do you think it’s enough time to prepare for the December exam?

Thanks a lot for your advise.

• Up

Hi @dong! Welcome to the 300H community 😀

I don’t think it’s a difficult change, accounting to finance is ‘near enough’ a related field and it depends on the exact finance role you’re aiming for? Tell us more about your work experience so far, and what role you’re targeting for the change. 

And yes, registering now you’d still have 4 months of solid studying, I’d say this is just enough, a minimum.

• Up

I’ll jump in and to the brainstorm, if you don’t mind. First, it’s never too late to make a career change, especially to marginally related careers, such as in your case (accounting to finance). You still have around 20 years (or more!) in your career, so lots of time to do lots of good things…

Have you considered finishing your CPA and also getting the CFA? This would make you strong for business valuation type of jobs. If you like studying while working, you could then later go get the CBV credential in Canada.

Participant
        • CFA Charterholder
        Up

There’s quite a bit of accounting in level 1 and in level 2, @Dong so you’d probably feel quite at home. Never too late to change, for sure. But there is something to be said for finishing what you’ve started perhaps, if only from the point of view of how it looks on your CV?

• Up

Hi Sophie,

Thank you very much for your response. 

My working experience is mostly with government in Canada, such as AR, budget, auditing, Retail sales tax etc. I have last two courses to finish my CPA. But not interested any more.

I’m not sure what the financial role I am aiming for so far. I am not good at marketing or neither client services because English is my 2nd language. What do you think?

Thanks

Viewing 4 reply threads
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.