Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

CFA Events Calendar

View full calendar

CFA Events Calendar

View full calendar

Recommended Discussions

See how our partners can help you ace your CFA exams.

Looking at the CFA, but the job doesn't fit!

Hello!

I'm a new graduate with a background in neuroscience and business. I work at a small engineering firm doing sales and database administration and I'm tenured to work here for the next 2 years. I was planning on getting an MBA at the end of that time period, but recently the prospect of a CFA popped up on my radar. I've done my due diligence and I believe it to be a much better fit for my career goals.

I've documented my time and I can pull 12 hours a week easily, with 16-18 also doable with a little shuffling around. I can make time for the studying. My problem is the job qualifications: my job doesn't meet the bill for the 4 years of work experience, and I can't transfer jobs for another 2 years.

So my question is, is this worth it? If I have the drive and the time to get my CFA, is it a waste of my time to get it when I'll have to transfer jobs and work for another 4 years before it becomes applicable?

And a follow-up: If I were to get my CFA, work at my current job for 3 years, and then go and get my MBA would that be a boost to my application or would it be useless without the work experience?

I appreciate any thoughts and feedback the community has; the CFA really seems to be a good fit but I don't want to proceed with such an investment if it is a wholly illogical one :)

Regards,
Xytal

Comments

• ZeeZee London - UKPosts: 1,541 Jr Partner
    Hey @Xytal‌, welcome :) It depends on your career goals. If you see yourself eventually in investing and finance, it's always a good idea to pursue the CFA charter. Experience will come later, but you should utilise the drive you currently have to take it :)

At the start of my own career, I wanted to take the CFA exams straightaway, but one of my colleagues in HR told me not to, simply saying 'take it slow'. I took her advice but regretted it - I could have gotten my charter 1 year earlier, and I was a lot more driven to study and take exams at the start of my career!

• @Xytal, did you mean you may try to take Level 1 in December? While I think it's still possible to start now and have a fair chance at it in December, it would likely require a big effort (around 3 hours/day on average if you have pretty good retention capability) - see the other thread where we discussed this here: 

If you meant that you'd sit for Level 1 in June 2015, then that can be more doable for you at the 12 hours/week pace, and you'll have time to better digest the material.

Regarding whether to go the CFA charter track at all, I totally agree with @Zee that it depends on your career goals. When you say that "the CFA really seems to be a good fit", should we assume it's a fit with your career goals? Why can't you transfer jobs for another 2 years? Can this change? Sometimes a "Level II Candidate" or "Level III Candidate" line in your resume can make you pretty attractive for jobs in finance, depending on where you are.

I am actually doing my (part-time) MBA at the same time as I sit for the CFA exams, although I do have experience to get the charter as soon as I pass Level 3, hopefully next June. And I now a few people who got their CFA charter before doing an MBA. The thing is if you take 1-2 years off to get your MBA, it will likely take longer to complete the required 4 years for the CFA charter.

• Don't forget, even if you haven't got your four years' of experience, you can still state that you've passed the exam on your CV!