CFA CFA General Learn Signal to Offer Proper, Affordable Online Education with CFA Level I Launch by End of 2014

Learn Signal to Offer Proper, Affordable Online Education with CFA Level I Launch by End of 2014

• Author
      Keymaster
        • CFA Charterholder
        Up
        ::

imageLearn Signal to Offer Proper, Affordable Online Education with CFA Level I Launch by End of 2014

By Sophie Ever since I’ve taken and (thankfully) passed the CFA exams years ago, I’m constantly amazed at the speed of how technology changes the way we learn.  Back in my days (just 6-7 years ago,…

Read the full story here

• Avatar of WesMantoothWesMantooth
        Participant
          • CFA Charterholder
          Up

Looks very cool! Wish I had that for L1 & 2. Hopefully the L3 comes out early 2015!

Participant
            • CFA Charterholder
            Up

I think the videos are well done – good on them. Would like support for L2 and L3 though. I understand that the topics are a lot to cover, but they could start with harder topics first, perhaps under a ‘beta’ banner as well? I’d happily pay a small fee if I knew I had video support to cover the basics or just the popularly hard topics.

• Avatar of WesMantoothWesMantooth
            Participant
              • CFA Charterholder
              Up

I second @tacheman ‘s sentiment. I used the L1 Schweser videos a decent amount but wasn’t too keen on the Level 2 videos. I like Signals visuals throughout the videos rather than looking at some dude talking. I would definitely pay a small fee for access to L3 topics, even just a the biggest hardest ones!

• Up

I love video lectures. And I would subscribe in an instant for level 2 videos like this. I hope they are available for lvl 2 june next year.

• Up

It looks to me like a sponsored article. I ‘ve seen similar prep providers before (Passed Tense, Soleadea). They also offer free trial accounts and have a good quality video lectures as well. What I mean is that it’s not the only innovative portal for CFA candidates on the market. Could you prepare some kind of comparison of these websites? Would be nice to see clearly all the benefits and differences.

• Up

I have been going through L1 videos from a provider called Apnacourse.com, seems like a start-up only and they are also providing videos for free…was initially skeptical about the quality, but decided to give it a try and found that the content is actually good quality

• Up

Glad you found it useful @WesMantooth‌ – I’m always on the lookout for good deals for candidates I suppose, and I do like the price structure of this one!

Participant
                • Undecided
                Up

Agree with @tacheman‌, @WesMantooth‌. visual instruction rather than talking. Probably more expensive to produce, but it’s good that we have more competition in this space, benefits us all!

• Up

Hey @michael_j‌ , good to see your first post here!

Yup, you’re right that there are many online providers out there, but what I found interesting (personally), and hopefully useful to our 300H readers is that the video lectures are different (less lecturer, more animation, which I personally found more engaging, but this is a subjective matter as all of us learn differently), and the monthly subscription pricing structure is very cost effective compared to other providers.

But we are looking at all these providers in detail now and will let you know once we come up with that comparison table!

Participant
                  • CFA Level 1
                  Up

The price structure is awesome.

• Up

Do you guys use much video lectures? How do you find these?

• Avatar of PaulAdaptPrepPaulAdaptPrep
                  Participant
                    • Undecided
                    Up

Good communication involves visual and auditory cues to help the listener track with the speaker. The problem with many video lessons is that the lecturer reads his/her notes. Reading and speaking are two different activities. When reading, the communicator often does not give the visual and auditory cues, making it much harder to follow. This is what makes it seem “boring”, because it is indeed more difficult to follow.

Our videos at Passed Tense have both the speaker visible (Mike) as well as graphics and animations in a split screen format. Many people find it difficult to follow a lecturer without seeing them because there are a number of subtle visual cues that a good communicator conveys to help his listeners.

On another note – this monthly membership format is interesting and innovative. You just have to be diligent to cancel after the test else it ends up like that gym membership you’re paying for but not using 😉

Viewing 12 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.