Career Discussions First interview! Any tips from the pros here?

First interview! Any tips from the pros here?

• Author
      Participant
        • CFA Charterholder
        Up
        ::

Total newbie, and nervous for the upcoming interview with HR of an investment bank. Jostling for a place in their investment banking graduate program. Any tips on things to prepare for the interview/questions etc?

• Up

@christine, @imdnextbuffett thanks so much for the useful tips! Helps with the jitters… 1 week countdown

It would be positive for you. 😉

Participant
          • CFA Charterholder
          Up

@hairyfairy, @Tonypetrunin – thank you so much wise ones! STAR is a good framework to stick to #:-S

• Up

Good luck! @reena

Participant
            • CFA Charterholder
            Up

Good luck @diya! That’s networking like a pro :)]

Participant
              • CFA Charterholder
              Up

Get enough people on this forum (that are nice), and we can start a networking club!

I would join this club!

Participant
                • CFA Charterholder
                Up

Something to share with you all! Thank you for your help. (I think) interview went ok, no major disaster (yet). Fingers crossed!

• Up

Also, make sure you read through the same version of the CV you sent into this firm – this is what all your interviewers will read before going in to interview you, so make sure you know this inside out!

So true, know CV inside out as well as “your story” & “why finance / banking”

I got asked 0 technical questions in my first two interviews

Participant
                  • CFA Charterholder
                  Up

Also, make sure you read through the same version of the CV you sent into this firm – this is what all your interviewers will read before going in to interview you, so make sure you know this inside out!

Participant
                    • CFA Level 2
                    Up

Best of luck @Reena! I wish i had some pointers but the wise ones have indeed spoken! 😀

• Up

@artyeasel
                    um, doesn’t everyone? I’ve never filed my own tax. I’m pretty lazy I guess….

• Up

@hairyfairy great idea! 🙂

Participant
                      • CFA Charterholder
                      Up

CFA unemployment rate of 4% – you’ll be ok @Diya!

Participant
                        • CFA Charterholder
                        Up

@MattJuniper – I was told this was for their investment banking program (M&A). I’m hoping to angle for AM or research. But I’ll take what I can get for now!

Participant
                          • CFA Charterholder
                          Up

@christine, @imdnextbuffett thanks so much for the useful tips! Helps with the jitters… 1 week countdown

• Up

@Reena congrats on landing the interview. Goodluck :-bd Which firm is this and what is the training program?

Participant
                            • Undecided
                            Up

@reena Do your research – make sure you know your target and your role inside out. If there isn’t a structured program you should enter the interview with an idea of what your ideal role should be (within expectations of course!)

• Up

@Zee it all started at my tax accountants office.

Since his practice is old and he’s known me since I was a kid I told him I needed a job and if he knew anybody that was looking. He forwarded my resume and gave me contact info of a portfolio manager who I chatted via e-mail. I dunno what happened after that but I think that guy mass-forwarded my resume to his buddies because I got a call saying from someone in the wealth management division saying he liked what he saw and wanted me to come in for an interview. Another one of the portfolio manager’s friend sent me an e-mail saying he might also have a position.

It always about who you know it seems….

• Up

@AjFinance thanks! I’m sure you’ll also find something soon. Also on the bright side it gives you more time to study ^.^

I also knows the restless feeling that goes with being unemployed. I’ve been unemployed for way too long!

Participant
                              • Undecided
                              Up

@diya sounds like you’ll be landing a role pretty soon!

• Up

What type of graduate programme is it? Is it broad spectrum, or does it focus on something like equity analysis, trading, M&A etc…?

• Up

There are many hygiene factors that you have to adhere to – going through them as it is your first time but a lot of this is mostly common sense:

– Dress the part, neat and no corners cut.
                              – Be on time – late and you will look tardy, too early and you may unnerve yourself waiting in the lobby.
                              – Basic politeness, smile, shake hands, and so on. Pretend you’re meeting your boyfriend’s parents for the first time.
                              – Practice making small talk beforehand with a friend. This will come in handy at the start to put both you and your interviewer more at ease.
                              – Smile. This puts you in a better mood and also relaxes the interviewer. If you don’t smile very often, or don’t think you have a natural smile, practice.

Onwards to more detailed stuff:
                              – This is an HR interview, so they’re less likely to ask technical questions but instead focus on questions such as ‘describe a situation where you displayed leadership’ etc. You can get books that cover these topics – we suggest Wall Street Oasis.
                              – They are looking for someone who comes across as confident, likeable and someone that stands out among the many candidates they have to interview that day. Work on an angle that you plan to sell yourself on – be it a particular trading program you were awesome in, or a funny anecdote while on a climbing expedition, etc etc.
                              – Be clear in your mind what this firm is about – what their recent performance is like, their strengths, their weaknesses, what you think they should do if you were running the company.
                              – Be clear in your mind what you’d like to do in this firm – why M&A? Why this region? What are your plans 5 years from now?

Hope this is enough for you to chew on for now!

Participant
                                • CFA Charterholder
                                Up

@AjFinance – it’s just my first ever interview and foray into the dangerous world! It’s one of those investment banks… I just cold-applied and cold-called (as per advice of the community here! ^:)^) and randomly got a call back for an interview! Not specific per se if there are any structured program, I’m glad to have a chance (and some interview experience)!

• Up

@reena Do your research – make sure you know your target and your role inside out. If there isn’t a structured program you should enter the interview with an idea of what your ideal role should be (within expectations of course!)

one of the most imp things to consider @reena

Participant
                                  • CFA Charterholder
                                  Up

@sidmenon – it’s not just about advice, but moral support helps! Without this friendly (+funny) community, I couldn’t have survived so long on this CFA journey 🙂

• Up

Best of luck @reena! Let us know how it went…

Keymaster
                                    • CFA Charterholder
                                    Up

@diya want to tell us more? 🙂

• Up

I’m not sure if Canada is as complicated as the US but there are so many different rules and subtle differences that it would be a nightmare to fill it out myself. Plus making a mistake in such a complicated system is time consuming to fix. I was once randomly audited (because the tax revenue people didn’t believe my tuition amount) so it is nice to be able to pick up the phone and go, “What do I do…”

Participant
                                      • Undecided
                                      Up

Get enough people on this forum (that are nice), and we can start a networking club!

• Up

@Diya thanks 🙂 Yes it does help. Just need to leap over to the other side of Level 3.

Participant
                                        • CFA Level 2
                                        Up

• Up

Good luck @Reena. I also have an interview soon so you asked this question at the perfect time!

• Up

+10000000 that’s how you land a job. Wait, you have a tax accountant?

Participant
                                          • CFA Level 2
                                          Up

I’m sorry, i just wanted to put an “You go girl” image read bad! Now, seemed sort of apt? :-/

• Up

@reena congrats and all the best for the interview. Which firm is it btw?

btw tips would be varied though most common ones are as follows.

Always be on time or prior to the said scheduled.

Keep your phones off/silent the moment you reach there.

Know all the concepts/ rehearse them at home before going for a said position

Know the company in and out for which you are applying ( this shows that you are interested in working with that company)

Be polite

Never talk about the money in first meet ( assuming their would be many rounds of interviews) if insisted be reasonable.

Be honest

I guess there are many more than this which others would recommend you so try following them.

• Up

Follow the star method for behavioral questions (questions where they ask you the ole ” tell me a time when”…)
                                          S-situation
                                          T-task
                                          A-action
                                          R-result

Lastly, be genuine and personable. Imagine you haves beer in your hand just put on you vulgar filter. Loose lips sink ships 😉

• Up

@artyeasel it depends on the country. In some countries such as in Europe, having a tax accountant is less common as there are schemes sorting it all out for most taxpayers. In the US it’s quite common to have tax accountants (as tax systems are very, very complicated). I’m assuming Canada is the same then!

• Up

@Zee it all started at my tax accountants office.

Since his practice is old and he’s known me since I was a kid I told him I needed a job and if he knew anybody that was looking. He forwarded my resume and gave me contact info of a portfolio manager who I chatted via e-mail. I dunno what happened after that but I think that guy mass-forwarded my resume to his buddies because I got a call saying from someone in the wealth management division saying he liked what he saw and wanted me to come in for an interview. Another one of the portfolio manager’s friend sent me an e-mail saying he might also have a position.

@Diya Goodluck 🙂 I wish I knew such a tax accountant who knows wealth managers 8->

Viewing 37 reply threads
                                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.