Career Discussions how to break into finance?

how to break into finance?

• This topic has 13 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated Mar-178:14 am by Anonymous.
  • Author
      ::

Hi all

I’m currently in IT, but I want to move into finance in the next year or so. Who here has successfully moved into finance? I’d be super appreciative of any advice.

Thanks!!!

• Up

@maroon5 I’d prefer tech M&A, but interested to hear what is the zeitgeist in the area. Looking to apply to firms in the UK or US.

Participant
        • Undecided
        Up

I have a few contacts in the UK if you like, PM me @tim

• Up

@maroon5 I am in the process of making contacts and pushing my CV forward. In the US it’s currently v discouraging – the situation is so competitive that you literally can see the door shut the minute you mention any kind of job opportunities. I guess i need to improve my schmoozing skills…

I have got a few applications in the works, tier 2 banks, hopefully i’ll land something.

@hairyfairy
        thanks! I’ll drop you a line.

Participant
          • CFA Level 1
          Up

all the best @tim, just need some perseverance.

Participant
            • Undecided
            Up

It’s a lot of hard work and persistence. i joined from university, and it was just a lot of applications, interviews, rejections, and trying again.

• Up

which area of finance though? its a wide term… trading, asset management, investment banking, accounting, business planning?

+1 – can you clarify what you mean by ‘breaking into finance’ @tim?

I’m looking to investment banking. I would prefer a focus on tech companies but to be honest I’ll take whatever I can get. Advice appreciated!

• Up

it’s good that you’re prepping for the CFA ahead of finance interviews actually. you will definitely get dinged if you dont know your stuff, and some interviewers will really be looking to trip you up.

Participant
              • CFA Level 1
              Up

which area of finance though? its a wide term… trading, asset management, investment banking, accounting, business planning?

Participant
                • CFA Level 1
                Up

Where are you based then @tim? If US, seems like you have a wealth of resources and contacts to approach and start networking? For M&A, have you tried applying to the typical Tier 1 and 2 investment banks / corporate finance boutiques?

• Up

Yeah it’s a tough market out there.

Participant
                  • Undecided
                  Up

Repasting from another thread:

@tim Consulting for financial institutions might be a good intermediary job. You get to work with banks, create relationships, and loads of consultants get poached into clients later on.

Participant
                    • CFA Level 1
                    Up

Any area that interests you in investment banking? Tech M&A? capital markets?

• Up

+1 – can you clarify what you mean by ‘breaking into finance’ @tim?

Viewing 13 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.