Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

CFA Events Calendar

View full calendar

Recommended Discussions

See how our partners can help you ace your CFA exams.

Anyone out there in the Private Equity or Venture Capital space?

Anyone out there in the private equity of venture capital space? If so, did you find that the CFA was held in high regard and admired? I am certain it's not as admired or sought after for those in the VC space but I am still curious.

Comments

• ZeeZee London - UKPosts: 1,528 Jr Partner
    PE is more of an MBA play, is my understanding. As the PE business is looking at businesses rather than stock valuation, an MBA, or a history in leading/building businesses would be much more relevant.

Are you looking to go into PE @tonypetrunin?
    Homer: He might have all the money in the world, but there’s one thing he can’t buy. Marge: What’s that? Homer: .......A dinosaur The Simpsons
  • I had only 1 year in a PE role where my company invested in a few business and they had to be managed for eventual sale (but it's no longer active in the sector since 2008 happened), so this may not be definitive. But it's a nice to have qualification which still has relevance in terms of valuation, financial analysis etc. But @zee is also right in that the business/sector strategy aspect becomes more important (vs. a pure M&A role).
  • Definitely MBA and work experience would be key in a PE and VC. I would say MBA is more important for PE. VC guys (senior ones) tend to be business owners rather than analysts.
    Just give me all the bacon and eggs you have. Wait, wait. I'm worried what you just heard was, "Give me a lot of bacon and eggs." What I said was, "Give me all the bacon and eggs you have". Do you understand?
  • @Sophie @ Tacheman I certainly agree about the MBA. I obtained a Masters of Science recently and feel as though my employers and coworkers use it synonymous with the MBA. Regardless, I think a Master's background is essential in either role really.

Soooo how would one break into VC space without any entrepreneurial experience? Also, from the PE firms I am watching in the DFW area, I see most of the associates hold a CFA. Seems to be a standard. I am really curious as I could see myself entering the space in this role. What are your thoughts?
  • @Tonypetrunin, go for it then! Never try, never know. By talking to them itself you'll know what you're looking for.
  • @tonypetrunin that's an interesting observation. If many of the associates have CFAs it stands to reason that the firms value them. I'd try networking with them and asking them - you can also try and angle for interviews!
    Just give me all the bacon and eggs you have. Wait, wait. I'm worried what you just heard was, "Give me a lot of bacon and eggs." What I said was, "Give me all the bacon and eggs you have". Do you understand?