CFA CFA General Any “light” reading that is still helpful for studying

Any “light” reading that is still helpful for studying

• Author
      ::

Hey all,

I was wondering if anyone could recommend certain readings, e.g. articles, essays, or blogs, that “passively” let you learn CFA material. This is probably an odd request, but sometimes when I’ve been studying a lot but still need to get in a few more hours I feel like I would rather be reading something mildly informative that can contribute to my CFA knowledge rather than hardcore learning/studying that requires writing things down, etc. Does anyone know of such material?

Cheers,

Tim

Participant
        • Undecided
        Up

Also, not sure if 1 hour of reading ‘passive material’ == 1 hour of studying. Might be better off taking a break and having 30 mins studying instead of 1 hour of ‘passive material’?

• Up

Hmmm… well, light and CFA don’t ordinarily go together in all honesty Teemo… However! Quite a lot of the concepts that are discussed within the CFA curriculum are also explained and often broken down into fairly simple language on Investopedia (http://www.investopedia.com/). So, if you have a specific area that you want explained and broken down into small chunks while you have a spare five minutes to read, then you may be able to look up what you’re interested in here.

If however you’re looking for something very passive (almost brainwashing) like Allan Carr’s “Easy way to quit smoking” kind of material that quietly gets your brain ticking on the subject so that you just close the book at the end and you’re ‘cured’, then I don’t know of such a thing for the CFA. If there was, it would make a fortune. Perhaps there’s a project for a current CFA Charterholder to come up with 🙂 

Best of luck. Mav

Participant
          • Undecided
          Up

Seeing as the syllabus is 5-6 books thick per level, it would be quite a mission to write a casual-reading book that can step up to that challenge @maverick… 🙂

• Up

@Teemo‌ 

Try reading this blog : http://www.finquiz.com/blog
          There are quick summaries available on each study session. 

Hope this helps!

Jessica

Participant
            • Undecided
            Up

Haven’t read much on that area, although I did enjoy Liar’s Poker. Doesn’t teach you about CFA-related stuff, but finance-career related and entertaining.

Viewing 5 reply threads
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.