Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

CFA Events Calendar

View full calendar

Recommended Discussions

See how our partners can help you ace your CFA exams.

Is the CFA worth it for an MBA/CPA?

Hello all,

Brand new to 300hours.com and already a lot on my mind. I am wondering if the community can help me in making a very important career, academic and personal decision.

For the last couple of years, every year I kick around the idea of going forward with the CFA exam. Not counting this time, every year I said it wasn't going to be feasible. I'm wondering this time around: is it worth it?

Here is my background: I have a CPA as well as an MBA from a very well known university. I thought I was 'done' with school when I completed my MBA but now was wondering was could further boost my credentials and my career. I work in corporate banking and have my own consulting business as well - I believe the CFA charter would be a credible addition to both my corporate career and my consulting business. I think things that worry me are lack of motivation and effort as well as finding the time to study and scared of failure on the exams. I've tried to push a lot of work/life balance in recent years and I guess I'm worried to derail that.

Any advice would be great and much appreciated in making this very important decision.

Thank you.

Comments

• ZeeZee London - UKPosts: 1,525 Jr Partner
    The value of a CFA charter to your career will depend heavily on the nature of your role - can you share more on that?

As for your consulting business, I think it will be a lot more relevant, as sales will depend on reputation (and CFA adds to that). But again it also depends on your business (I'm assuming asset management related or similar?)
    Homer: He might have all the money in the world, but there’s one thing he can’t buy. Marge: What’s that? Homer: .......A dinosaur The Simpsons
  • Thanks Zee for the feedback!

I work in an analyst role in a major financial institution. My consulting practice is also providing business education training at the undergraduate and graduate level.
  • After some 'soul-searching' I have decided to proceed with level 1 for 2015. Based on my schedule, I will likely attempt level 1 in December of 2015. Ideally it would have been better to give it a go in June 2015 (this may change depending on the next couple of months).

In this 'soul searching' process I have been called many things from friends, colleagues and family members. The words told to me included things to do with my sanity and if I had a life other than getting professional titles. Despite this I do know I enjoy learning and value education and at the very least, I can further deepen my knowledge of corporate finance. I also realize that a lot of people around me do not really know what it is to take on such projects and this I understand. Embarking on the CFA process won't be easy but I am up for the challenge. On to the next discussion board - CFA level 1 prep.
    Ankita
  • chanman201chanman201 new jerseyPosts: 1 Associate
    Hi CFSblitz,

Good luck with this journey. I am also a CPA MBA looking to take the CFA exam. My background is audit with PWC and now with a private equity group in an accounting function. I have been given the opportunity to dabble in the budgeting, long term model, and business analysis process and I have enjoyed it. I am looking to get into more of a business transactional role. Do you think a CFA would be the right step into this part of my career? Is it even possible for someone from an accounting role to move into the mergers and acquisitions realm?
  • Hi @chanman201‌ ;
    Thanks for the words of encouragement! It looks like the CFA would definitely boost your credentials in terms of moving into the M&A realm. I know many with your background currently pursuing the CFA as they work in M&A in major public accounting firms. Have you decided if you will pursue this journey as well? I'll send you a PM so we can further our discussion