CFA CFA Level 1 Schweser vs. CFAI Questions

Schweser vs. CFAI Questions

• Author
      Participant
        • CFA Level 2
        Up
        ::

Greetings,

I have pretty much used Schweser materials exclusively for my Level I prep. My question for those in the know is: are the Concept Checkers and Q-Bank questions of a comparable difficulty to the actual exam? I am pretty deep into my prep and am wondering if I should be mixing it up with CFAI questions. From what I hear, Schweser practice exams are as difficult if not more difficult than the actual exam and I’d like to know if that holds true to the Concept Checkers and Q-Bank as well.

Please share your input and past experiences.

Thanks,

John

• Avatar of WesMantoothWesMantooth
        Participant
          • CFA Charterholder
          Up

@lechiffre I think you should 100% be mixing in CFAI questions. Concept checker and Qbank questions from Schweser IMO are  good tools for checking your comprehension of the material but in general they aren’t quite the same as CFAI questions. I think the CFAI EOC questions are more difficult but that isn’t even the biggest selling point. For me the greatest benefit of doing CFAI questions is the fact that language used and style of questions is more comparable to what you will see on the actual exam. My goal for L1 & 2 was to make sure I’d done every CFAI EOC question because I found them to be the most efficient use time.

Can you get by just on Schweser? absolutely, but if you have time I would recommend throwing CFAI EOC Q’s in there for the familiarity factor alone. Worked for me. just my 2 cents.

• Avatar of WesMantoothWesMantooth
          Participant
            • CFA Charterholder
            Up

someone told me that your CFA exam score is 70% based on your knowledge of the material, 20% based on your test taking ability (specific to the CFA exam formats), and10% based on luck… pretty accurate I’d say.

Participant
              • CFA Level 1
              Up

I just log in to ask the same question, thanks that you did ..

I believe that CFAI concept checks are more difficult than Schweser Q bank

Participant
                • CFA Level 2
                Up

Someone told me it is ten percent luck; twenty percent skill; Fifteen percent concentrated power of will; Five percent pleasure; Fifty percent pain and a hundred percent reason to remember the name (CFAI) 

🙂 

Participant
                  • Undecided
                  Up
                  someone told me that your CFA exam score is 70% based on your knowledge of the material, 20% based on your test taking ability (specific to the CFA exam formats), and10% based on luck… pretty accurate I’d say.

I would say the knowledge and test-taking ability is a little intertwined. CFA exam formats (and question formats) are quite tricky, but if you know your stuff inside out you’re less likely to be tricked by the wording or false answers.

Participant
                    • CFA Level 2
                    Up

@WesMantooth, I appreciate the insight. I’m approaching the end of my first review period and will be covering the sessions again starting mid-April. I’ll work the CFAI questions into my routine for the second review. Learning to read the question and answer choices thoroughly is legitimately 25% of the battle, or at least that’s what it feels like.

Viewing 6 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.