Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

This Month's Leaders

Recommended Discussions

See how our partners can help you ace your CFA exams.

Return and Risk premium models - how do navigate it all?

I think the title speaks for itself, there is just so much of it!

Things that are confusing me - what risk free rate to use. I got burnt by 2 questions in one item set from Kaplan (I think it was Portfolio management rather than Equity but no matter) where they asked to calculate risk premium - one from APT model and the other one from macroeconomic factor. There were 2 risk free rates given (TBills and Tbonds or some such, basically a short-term and long-term rf rates) and for some reason each question used a different risk free rate. Why? I don't get it? Are some of the models explicitly more short term than others?

Also, one on CAPM. Now thanks to my background, I am pretty on CAPM and econometrics in general. What I dont get is how to distinguish between the following 2 applications:

1) Ri=alpha + beta*RM
2) Ri=rf + beta*MRP, where MRP = RM-rf

Any ideas?

Also, what are managing to learn all the different models and their applications?

Comments

• Prosper0Prosper0 PraguePosts: 25 Sr Associate
    Nobody to chip in with their views?
  • As far as I am aware:

CAPM = Long-term Govt Yield

BYPRP = Long-term firm yield

Fama French = Short-term Yield

Pastor Stanbaugh= Short-term yield

Ibbotson Chen = Supply Side = Not specified in the CFAI curriculum

BIRR = Short-term yield

GGM = Long-term yield

To answer your second question I THINK it is as follows:

1) This is the output of a linear regression model using historic data to quantify the stock's relationship to market returns - with "alpha" being the stock specific return expected when the market return is zero, and "beta" being the slope coefficient between the market returns and stock returns

2) This is a forward looking "ex ante" model of expected returns based on the specific CAPM theory. It doesn't include an "alpha" as there is no historical regression.