CFA CFA Level 2 Post CFA

Post CFA

• Author
      Participant
        • CFA Level 3
        Up
        ::

Does anyone feel very sad after the CFA exam? For months you have a goal and now it’s gone. Thoughts?

Participant
          • CFA Charterholder
          Up

The post-exam hangover is normal.  You just gotta think about something else until results time.  For me I just planned a vacation and started reading fiction again.

Participant
            • CFA Level 2
            Up

I also wouldn’t say sad, but it definitely takes some time to get back to “normal” life again. I just need to remind myself that I have loads of time to do fun stuff now 😉 but yeah….after a few days you sometimes feel as if something is missing when not studying

Participant
              • CFA Level 3
              Up

@justinturner That’s a great suggestion! thank you! 🙂 I’m on it!

Participant
                • CFA Level 2
                Up

Be careful about getting “too” many qualifications.  Most having on going costs and CPE requirements which can become a real headache later.

• Avatar of JordanMatrixJordanMatrix
                Participant
                  • CFA Level 3
                  Up

My future plans includes taking FRM, but I may have one or two year gap after CFA, I need some rest and carrier advancement.

• Avatar of justinturnerjustinturner
                  Participant
                    • CFA Level 3
                    Up

For those of you who like to study (i do for the most part) there are other interesting designations that are a little less stressful such as the FRM (i know ‘less stressful’ is subjective, i like the material, not everyone would).  I am doing level 2 now in November, and there are a few reasons i feel its worth it  

First, there is a lot of overlap with CFA material, so i have seen a lot of it before, which feels good ( a mix of new and old), second the material goes a little more in depth into topics the CFA covers lightly giving you a bit deeper knowledge in some interesting areas.  Another advantage is fact this helps keep you fresh and prepared if you have more CFA tests to write.  There is overlap mixed throughout CFA curriculum, so you may be doing a bit of what you did on the previous level, but preparing yourself a lot for what you will do on the next CFA level (this is what happened for me) and it ends just in time for CFA studying to begin.  Lastly, its a good designation, and one of only ones that doesn’t require an annual fee (you can pay on for extra access/services but its not mandatory to keep the designation) and it can actually help you acquire a job i would imagine.  It is about a 200 hour commitment per level as opposed to 300 hour for CFA.  And with CFA experience it is probably more like 150 hours.  That is about an hour a day for someone starting now.  Consider finding copy of Schweser notes though, that would be a good place to start before hitting the actual material (or good to have in its place, i studied soley from schweser, the official books arent mandatory and you can actually skip the fee and just pay the exam fee).

Participant
                      • CFA Level 3
                      Up

No more study seems to be not an option for some folks:-)

CFA (more analyst) & FRM (more risk) have decent overlap. CIPM is easier and have performance/attribution/GIPS etc that might interest someone in a nice niche field. CAIA pass rates are higher as it is less famous.

I think I am done with studies for now. If anything, I might go for CAIA after 3-5 years.

Participant
                        • CFA Level 3
                        Up

I would say I don’t really know what to do with my time, but not that I’m sad 😉

I’m going to learn to play guitar, go zip-lining etc. Have already played golf and paintball since the test. Tennis tomorrow. This is the best!!

Participant
                          • CFA Charterholder
                          Up

Haha. Not sure anyone feels sad! Relieved, fyea!

Viewing 9 reply threads
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.