CFA CFA General Read both books or do more questions???

Read both books or do more questions???

• Author
      Participant
        • Undecided
        Up
        ::

Hello Folks,

Hope everyone is doing well with their studies! 

I have about 450 hours of total study time for level 2. I know I won’t have enough time to answer all Qbanks, CFAI questions, and read both sets of books. I will regardless do every CFAI eoc question once, and complete 5 mock exams. It really irks me that I cannot do a majority of the questions available to me and read both sets of books. What is time better spent???

1. Read Schweser and do more Qbank?

2. Read Schweser and CFAI and do less Qbank? Again, I will do all CFAI EOCs.  

Either way, I know I will feel less than perfectly prepared. If I could have a magical twin brother go to work for me, I’d probably spend 700 hours to ensure I pass.

Quick background:

First attempt at level 2. Passed level 1 in December 2015 (first attempt) with 420 hours of studying hitting top marks on 9 areas with the exception of AI, where I got 50-70.

Your opinions and advice is appreciated. Thank you in advance. 

• Avatar of itsalwayslupusitsalwayslupus
        Participant
          • CFA Level 3
          Up

I wouldn’t try and read both books. Maybe Schweser and Qbank, and where you have areas that you really need ironing out consult CFAI.

• Avatar of PaulAdaptPrepPaulAdaptPrep
          Participant
            • Undecided
            Up

@FinanceAspire 
            I like how serious you are at ensuring you pass. I think you’re going to do great!

We have a video on our recommended approach, although its more for trying to be most efficient while you’re aiming for volume, which is also another good approach
            http://blog.adaptprep.com/the-optimal-strategy-for-passing-level-ii

I would err on the side of more questions and especially doing more questions while you’re studying so its solidified.

Also note that the Schweser Qbank does not have exam type (item set) questions. You really should be focused on working problems like those on the exam. The Adapt question bank has only those types of exam quality questions: https://www.adaptprep.com/CFA/Level-2/Practice

There’s a free trial available that has the quantitative methods questions so you can try it out.

• Avatar of itsalwayslupusitsalwayslupus
            Participant
              • CFA Level 3
              Up

450 hours seems alright to me BTW – good luck!

• Avatar of FinanceAspireFinanceAspire
              Participant
                • Undecided
                Up

Thanks for the advise folks!

Viewing 4 reply threads
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.