Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

CFA Events Calendar

View full calendar

CFA Events Calendar

View full calendar

Recommended Discussions

See how our partners can help you ace your CFA exams.

Mortality risk calculations

Hi,

Has anyone else noticed on page 258 of Reading #17, Exhibit 43, that the Joint and Individual probabilities of 65-year-olds living beyond a certain age don't seem to match what would ordinarily be expected if we simply calculated using the Male/Female figures?

Ie, probability of living to age 80 is given as 68% for Male, 80.6% for Female.  Here they list the Joint probability as 90.6%, though I would have thought it to be 93.8% (i.e., 32% probability male death x 19.4% probability female death = 6.2% probability both die before age 80, leaving 93.8% chance that at least one survives).

There could of course be some skew in the numbers if, for example, the probability of a spouse passing away increases if their partner dies (which anecdotally does seem to be the case).  Still, a 3.2% difference in results is fairly dramatic.

Does anyone have an idea as to why I might be wrong in my calculations?  The table in seems to have been provided by US Society of Actuaries.

Thanks in advance.