Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

CFA Events Calendar

View full calendar

CFA Events Calendar

View full calendar

Recommended Discussions

See how our partners can help you ace your CFA exams.

Calculate YTM on deferred coupon bonds using texas instruments

Hi there,
Is there a quick way to answering question below? I have included answer below question, but it takes a while to calculate?
Thanks in advance!
Stellar Corp. recently issued $100 par value deferred coupon bonds, which will make no coupon payments in the next four years. Regular annual coupon payments at a rate of 8% will then be made until the bonds mature at the end of 10 years. If the bonds are currently priced at $87.00, their yield to maturity is closest to:
6% = Answer
The yield to maturity (r) is computed by solving for r in the following equation:
87.00 = 8/(1 + r)5 + 8/(1 + r)6 + 8/(1 + r)7 + 8/(1 + r)8 + 8/(1 + r)9 + 108/(1 + r)10, which gives a yield to maturity of 6.0%.

Answers

• I treat it like an IRR problem of uneven cash flows and use the frequency button to account for series of coupon payment groups. On an hp thats -87 CF0, 0 CFj, 4 Nj, 8 CFj, 5 Nj, 108 CFj, Solve IRR. On a texas, I think you adjust the "F0#". Sorry not familiar with the key strokes for texas but the process should be similar
    Pahtsan