Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

CFA Events Calendar

View full calendar

Recommended Discussions

See how our partners can help you ace your CFA exams.

Core-satellite portfolios

Hi,

Does anyone know if the CFAI have a guideline as to what level of funds need to be invested in the market/index (with remainder in actively managed strategies) for it to be considered a "Core-Satellite" portfolio?  I.e, if we had 30% invested in the index and 70% active would this still be core-satellite?  I didn't see anything in the curriculum, though I could have missed it.

Cheers,

Comments

• @mitch895

I came across a question like this, can't remember if it was in Schweser or a CFAI one, but the set up was exactly that....around 25% in a passive portfolio, with the rest spread across 3 active managers. The question was "can this be considered a core-satellite portfolio". One of the answers was actually "no, because too little is invested in the passive portfolio"....

I chose this answer and...got it WRONG!! According to the answer it was still a core satellite set up.

However just yesterday I was reading through Equity portfolio management and it described a core-satellite portfolio as being "the majority invested in a passively managed portfolio, with the remainder actively managed"...not the exact words but they did mention the word "majority".

So yeah, to sum up...I'm a little unsure too. I think for the exam I will consider any portfolio with a passive and actively managed element to be a core-satellite irrespective of the amount allocated to each.
    mitch895
  • ArbitrageurArbitrageur Orange CountyPosts: 32 Jr Portfolio Manager
    Stuj79 said:
    @mitch895

I think for the exam I will consider any portfolio with a passive and actively managed element to be a core-satellite irrespective of the amount allocated to each.
    I would say if the passive fund is the largest then it's a core-satellite portfolio. In your example question did any of the active managers have a higher weight than the passive one?
  • Hi Arbitrageur,

Yes, I'm not sure (can't remember) whether any individual active manager had an exposure larger than the passive portfolio.  I do know that in the question the passive portfolio was well below 50% (may have been 30% or so).  Can't recall where exactly it was (may have been an old CFA Mock exam).  I think the ambiguity and inconsistency of the definition (as @Stuj79 and I seem to have had similar but opposite errors!) suggest that an answer with explanation for either Yes/No would probably be acceptable in the AM.