CFA CFA Level 1 Any recommended reading for CFA candidates?

Any recommended reading for CFA candidates?

• Author
      ::

Hi everyone, hope everyone is well. I have just registered for the December exam, about to go on holiday, and wanted to bring something leisurely but more or less educational as well for the CFA exams, as I need to start once I get back from holiday. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Participant
        • CFA Level 2
        Up

Is it essential to read up on all this or is the core material (CFA institute books or Schweser) enough? Appreciate the book recommendations but this thread is making me a bit unsure on what is needed and what is extra.

• Up

Thank you policedog for the suggestions.  I picked up the statistics book and have been reading it while on vacation.  Trust me, no one in my family has walked off with that book.  

Participant
          • Undecided
          Up

This article covers a great selection.

https://www.300hours.com/the-essential-cfa-candidate-reading-list/#.WUYrO8-nzqA

Depending on how serious you want your reading to be, Ben Graham’s Intelligent Investor (heavy) or the cartoon guide (light) would be my recommendations.

• Up

Thanks! got both, and liar’s poker as well.

• Up

I’ve just taken Level II, and my advice would be to read anything but finance-related material, unless you absolutely enjoy reading that stuff.

Liar’s Poker is great, and I must have read it through several times.

But the reason I say to read anything else, is because for the next two to three years, you will have barely any time to read anything but your CFA material.

It’s difficult being unable to take part in the wider cultural conversations that your friends will be having.

Make the most of your freedom now, and read books that you may not get to read at all over the next three years!

• Avatar of itsalwayslupusitsalwayslupus
          Participant
            • CFA Level 3
            Up

I 50% agree with @jasdev – I personally don’t see the point of being a keen bean and reading peripheral material too, but I have known colleagues who genuinely enjoy reading and learning this stuff. 

I’d recommend Moneyball as well if you haven’t read it – also by Michael Lewis.

• Up

Thanks all!

• Avatar of mincemeat23mincemeat23
            Participant
              • CFA Level 1
              Up
              policedog said:
              This article covers a great selection.

https://www.300hours.com/the-essential-cfa-candidate-reading-list/#.WUYrO8-nzqA

Depending on how serious you want your reading to be, Ben Graham’s Intelligent Investor (heavy) or the cartoon guide (light) would be my recommendations.

Thanks for sharing – got the cartoon statistics guide, haha. should be fun to read in any case.

Viewing 8 reply threads
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.