Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

CFA Events Calendar

View full calendar

Recommended Discussions

See how our partners can help you ace your CFA exams.

CFA exam registered name vs passport name - how different is different enough to not be accepted?

Right - so if I've registered for the exams under Francis Joseph Underwood, but my passport says Francis Underwood Joseph, is that OK? Last name is Underwood, but due to weird passport conventions my last name ended up in the middle. This sometimes confuses authorities in airports so I'm wondering whether it'll cause issues during the exam.
Tagged:

Comments

• I have a friend that completed all three exams with a similar name difference, so no problems for her there.

If you want to 100% confirm you can always email CFA Institute to check for your specific name.

Personally I think it's amazing that you're taking the time from running the country to focus on the CFA, Mr President - really shows how important the CFA is to personal self improvement!
    mincemeat23
  • lugnuts said:
    Right - so if I've registered for the exams under Francis Joseph Underwood, but my passport says Francis Underwood Joseph, is that OK? Last name is Underwood, but due to weird passport conventions my last name ended up in the middle. This sometimes confuses authorities in airports so I'm wondering whether it'll cause issues during the exam.
    Similar issue here - does anyone have an official guidance on this? Couldn't find anything on the CFA Institute website...
  • From the CFA website:

You'll need for identification a valid international travel passport. This passport:
    • Is issued by a national government which certifies, for the purpose of international travel, your identity and nationality (learn more about unacceptable forms of identification);
    • Is an original document (photocopies are not allowed) and is current (not expired);
    • Contains your name,* date of birth, passport number, expiration date, and the name of the country that issued the passport;
    • Is machine readable** (handwritten passports will not be accepted); and
    • Includes a recognizable photograph on the passport data page.

*Acceptable Name Variations

Name on Passport | Name on Admission Ticket
    Doe Maria Jane | Maria Jane Doe
    Maria Jane Doe | Jane Maria Doe
    MARIA JANE DOE | Maria Jane Doe
    Maria Jane Doé | Maria Jane Doe

If you need to change your name, use this: https://www.cfainstitute.org/Forms/name_change.pdf
    If you need to update your passport, use this: http://www.cfainstitute.org/passportupdate
    When things get too tough, sit back with a nice bottle of red wine and remind yourself how inconsequential things are.
  • Thanks for the info fairy. my situation isn't covered by the examples, and I'm not sure whether to use the name change form (it seems to be for actual legal name changes) but will email them to clarify. 

Thanks for the help everyone!