Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

CFA Events Calendar

View full calendar

CFA Events Calendar

View full calendar

Recommended Discussions

See how our partners can help you ace your CFA exams.

CFA Level 1 Question of the Week - Ethical and Professional Standards

Matt_AnalystPrepMatt_AnalystPrep MontrealPosts: 141 Associate
edited September 2017 in Level 1 Questions

Alan Brown is a retired investment manager who earned his CFA charter fifteen years ago. He recently retired and has since not paid his annual CFA dues or signed the professional conduct statement. In a discussion with his son, Brown states “My fifteen years as a CFA Institute member have equipped me with strong investment management skills and have enabled me to adopt a more analytical and reasoned approach when addressing client needs.”

Is Brown’s statement in violation of the CFA Institute’s Standards of Professional Conduct?

CFA Level 1 Question of the Week - Ethical and Professional Standards 10 votes

A. No.
60% 6 votes
B. Yes, he has overstated his competency as a CFA Institute member.
0% 0 votes
C. Yes, his right to refer to himself as a CFA Institute member has been suspended until he resumes paying his dues and signs the professional conduct statement.
40% 4 votes

Comments

• The correct answer is A.

Brown is not in violation of the Code and Standards; this is because his claims of the merits of being a CFA Institute member are facts. The program enhances portfolio management skills and enables managers to handle client affairs in a more informed manner. Brown has ceased to be a member of the CFA Institute, and he cannot identify himself as such since he has not paid his annual dues or signed the professional conduct statement. However, he is not in violation by merely referring to the years in which he was an active member.

pramodh941