CFA CFA General Two Year old Schweser Materials

Two Year old Schweser Materials

• Author
      Participant
        • CFA Level 1
        Up
        ::

My employer is covering the cost for the Level I exam. Given that they have their own in-house study materials, they won’t cover the Schweser books. A buddy of mine has given me the Schweser books from 2016 (essentially brand new). I plan to use the CFA Institute curriculum books as my primary study materials with the 2016 Schweser books as a supplement.

Is there any compelling reason for me to pay for the 2018 Schweser books?

luisfssc voted up
      • Up

Yes – 2016 books are two years out of date. You should at the very least look at the curriculum changes and see if you want to use 2016 and bridge the gaps with CFAI books. The two PDFs attached show the curriculum changes.

• Up

Just as an FYI for anyone else reading this, I used 2012 Schweser books sitting in the office to study for the 2018 exam. Then used the CFA portal once my employer finally enrolled me the day before registration closed. There were a fair few questions that were definitely not covered in the old content but nothing the CFA material doesn’t have notes on. I comfortably passed so don’t stress about using old 3rd party books as your baseline if that is all you’ve got access to. 

Participant
          • CFA Level 1
          Up
          Tez4715 said:
          Just as an FYI for anyone else reading this, I used 2012 Schweser books sitting in the office to study for the 2018 exam. Then used the CFA portal once my employer finally enrolled me the day before registration closed. There were a fair few questions that were definitely not covered in the old content but nothing the CFA material doesn’t have notes on. I comfortably passed so don’t stress about using old 3rd party books as your baseline if that is all you’ve got access to. 

Interesting that you say that, the general advice that I’ve been given is to not use old materials. Did you find that you had to work extra hard to ‘compensate’ for the extra legwork around the missing bits though? 2012 for the 2018 exam is 6 years outdated so I would have thought the material would be mostly out of date.

Viewing 3 reply threads
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.