Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

CFA Events Calendar

View full calendar

Recommended Discussions

See how our partners can help you ace your CFA exams.

Navigating the job hunt with a CFA charter

Hey guys and girls from around the world,

I decided to open a new question thread as I am feeling confused on a daily basis and I thought others have experienced the same thing and might help them as well.
To the point - I am a charterholder since 2016, living and working in Bulgaria. I hold a Bachelor's degree from a Bulgarian university and instead of MSc / graduate degree, I decided to pursue the CFA designation. Now I am actively looking for an interesting position in a larger foreign institution where I can truly evolve.
The thing is that I have about 7 years of experience working in investment intermediaries and financial companies in Bulgaria and I am not sure on which position should I focus on.
What is your opinion on that matter? Do you think the big guys will care for my solid experience in a small market or should I focus on graduate programs? If the latter, am I suitable for Associate positions that are focused on MBA students or what?

I would truly value your 2 cents on the topic.
Nick
Tagged:

Answers

• It'll be hard to comment unless we know in more detail what your experience is. Although in a small market some experience could be highly transferable.

Are you looking for a larger foreign institution in Bulgaria or another country?
  • I am looking for positions abroad. I have contacts in Bulgaria and have done a good deal of networking. In terms of actual workload, I have done only related stuff - worked on pitchbooks, participated in deals, build models and also done active trading as a portfolio manager. My concern is if the companies care for work done outside big companies? Because I do not really fit in the Graduate programs being out of school for 5 years now ;)
  • justingjusting Sunnyvale CAPosts: 10 Associate
    Do companies care for work done outside big companies? Yes, especially if they're also small companies, or if they're serving that market. I don't think you should expect to rejoin a grad program, but you're unlikely to be promoted either during the move.

Try:
    • smaller firms, or 
    • firms that focus on regions that include Bulgaria, or 
    • need Bulgarian speakers
    • applying for international banks in Bulgaria then angle for an internal switch