Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

CFA Events Calendar

View full calendar

Recommended Discussions

See how our partners can help you ace your CFA exams.

Getting gud - the CFA Level III moaning and groaning thread

I started a thread in the Level II subforum for blowing off a couple of years ago and now I've finally made it to the last stretch, I'm starting a fresh one here.

Here's a pinned thread by one of the site administrators for ease - https://forum.300hours.com/discussion/215/cfa-level-iii-topic-picks#latest
Looks pretty convenient.

Seems like people advise to start mocks early, like in January for chrissakes, and to take morning mocks under timed conditions to simulate writing by hand as fast as possible without getting carpal tunnel...

I checked how soon I should begin studying if I want to give myself two weeks per Study Session and four weeks for revision and mocks, and I'd have to start study on 27th August! Way too soon! I might just stick with my original plan of October and aim to complete my readings a lot quicker than I have been able to in the past...

Comments

• Moaning and groaning, I like it!

First time L3-er here, yet to register but will be doing it soon. 27th August - 4 more days of holiday then!

I'll probably try and match your October start date, but suspect will start in November for a initial study + mock look through, break for Christmas, then start again in January.
    jasdev
  • FreddieFreddie BeijingPosts: 2 Associate
    Yea Level 3 candidate aswell registered a few days ago.

That sounds mighty soon though, starting in October even has a high risk of early burnout. I'm planning to start slowly late November and then speed it up come February.
    jasdev
  • jasdevjasdev LondonPosts: 40 Associate
    Mm, though I'm conscious that I have two weeks' holiday next month and I always fail to put in the hours in December...

I printed off some items from the CFA website today to give me something to munch on before I pay my fees and get the eBooks. Stuff like the guideline essay questions and answers, and the full index of study sessions. I shouldn't be surprised, but there's a lot to learn!

You guys ever visit Quora? I get a lot of CFA-related questions there and some of them are mind boggling. I should just pass on answering them but increasingly I want to say "You think you can pass CFA if you can't even read their website?".

Or my other favourite, along the lines of "Will CFA help me get a job?".

• jasdev said:

You guys ever visit Quora? I get a lot of CFA-related questions there and some of them are mind boggling. I should just pass on answering them but increasingly I want to say "You think you can pass CFA if you can't even read their website?".

Quora is totally useless for CFA or any kind of specialized questions. It's going (but not quite there) the way of Yahoo Answers.

Yeah I plan to start slow and casual, hit some sacrificial practice exams around December/January to get a feel for the exam, then ramp up in January.

Does anyone have any info/tips on essays to share?
  • jasdevjasdev LondonPosts: 40 Associate
    Just in reading through Reading 3 / Study Session 2, I'm becoming aware of just how much we will be expected to know the Code and Standards forwards, backwards, upside down, blindfolded...
  • MarcMarc TorontoPosts: 186 Portfolio Manager
    @jasdev For what it's worth, I do not recommend writing mock exams until within about six weeks of the actual exam.

In their CFA Insights book, the people behind this forum recommend doing 7 practice exams for Level III and their data shows rapidly diminishing marginal returns to doing more than that. So if you're going to write 7 mock exams, it seems like a waste to do any of them several months before the exam. It's best to wait until you have a stronger command of the subject matter so as to avoid feeling like you "wasted" good practice questions, which are a relatively rare commodity.

If, like @policedog, you are writing Level III for the first time, you may want to go through one mock exam in order to get an idea of what the morning session is like because answering constructed response questions is definitely a different experience than answering the multiple-choice questions that you did in earlier levels. However, it isn't essential to become familiar with the different exam structure so early in the study cycle. At this stage, your time would be better spent developing a strong command of the material.
    Lead Content Manager, AdaptPrep
    jasdevgenetemp