Student Lounge Mutinational Operations – Question

Mutinational Operations – Question

• Author
      ::

Sorry the title is a bit deceptive.
      This was supposed to be a question.
      But by the time I finished typing it up I figured out how to solve it…
      Story of my life.
      I hope I’m not the only person that spends five minutes typing up a question to realize it was all for naught.

• Up

I was about to go NOOO Barney Stinson style 😉

• Up

@SidMenon we can transform this into a music thread. I’ve been suffering by the hands of music theory. My teacher is half amused and half bemused. Have you done theory too or do you just play?

• Up

@Zee and @Sophie
      감사합니다 ^:)^
      (Thank you in the uber polite form in Korean)
      …I’m in a goofy mood…

Participant
        • CFA Level 2
        Up

@Diya Lovely idea! But I’ve never had formal training, I taught myself through the wonderful resource called the Internet.

• Up

@SidMenon Which instrument do you play? Guitar? Or do I remember incorrectly?
        I tried that but for some reason that didn’t work. Actually after I started training formally the first thing I had to do was “unlearn” all my bad habits. My teacher had no idea where I was coming from (she initially thought I was a high school drop out and I didn’t bother correcting her) so she taught me with the intent that I may take the RCM exam.

Do you have any good resource you would recommend?

• Up

LOL. I hope in the actual exams, when you all are stuck in a question. Think of this process and typing up a question to 300Hours. And *-:) !

I’ll be writing my exam and thinking of your amazing explanations 😀

Participant
          • CFA Level 2
          Up

I agree with Diya on that, @Sophie 😛

@Diya I played the guitar for a bit but as always there were too many guitarists, and my friends need a bassist for our band, so i became one and i have been since more than 5 years now. But i practice so little and keep thinking i should practice more and learn new stuff. So once this L1 exam is over, i’m going to do it for sure this time.

I’d recommend YouTube as the best source actually. There’s more than enough there, to be better than average!

• Up

@Sidmenon lol I am still signed up for music classes and I have a recital a week after the CFA exam…so I suppose I don’t really need to look to online sources to buy more material. I already have weekly theory homework…
          Actually I find that a lot of theory books are very scant on instructions and they are written almost with an assumption that you have a teacher. My teacher usually adds to my music scores “dynamics” that are universally understood and not written down -.-

Participant
            • CFA Level 2
            Up

Sounds like you have your plate full already! I do wish though, that i had proper face to face, personal classes, but never really got to it. Mostly, because quality education (music or otherwise) is usually quite expensive.

Participant
              • CFA Level 2
              Up

Exactly @Diya. I think that’s what i missed out on. But i guess, someday, no matter how old I am, i will get the training I’ve wanted. I’ll retire by 40, go to MI or Berklee to do what i want to do and then follow an artist’s path 😛

Keymaster
                • CFA Charterholder
                Up

@Diya That’s alright, i have a long way to go too! We’ll just play on the streets outside the various CFAI exam centres! 😛

“CFA tips for tips”?

• Up

@SidMenon I don’t think I like music enough to dedicate all my time to it but it is a stimulating hobby and knowing a performing art always comes in handy. It is like being privy to a whole different world.
                I hope you get that type of chance !
                Too bad we play different instruments, or else we could share techniques.
                You might like the books written by Daniel Levitin.

Participant
                  • CFA Level 2
                  Up

Maybe we can form a bass +_piano group 😀

I’ll check these books out!

Participant
                    • CFA Level 2
                    Up

@Diya That’s alright, i have a long way to go too! We’ll just play on the streets outside the various CFAI exam centres! 😛

Keymaster
                      • CFA Charterholder
                      Up

Have a LOL anyway. 🙂

Participant
                        • CFA Level 2
                        Up

@Diya Haha, thanks but i wish i was badass 😛 Compared to the talent in this world, i’m no where!

Well you’re right, piano does require more theory-based learning and i guess YouTube won’t help you with that. Maybe what you can do is buy instructional DVDs which are meant especially for this. Hope that’ll help!

I agree, CFA exams do no good to your musical endeavours. And hell yes, i would love to teach some day too!

• Up

@diya

how about posting the question anyway + solution ? haha
                        might help others review !

Participant
                          • CFA Level 2
                          Up

Ah, this happened to me too. I typed out the entire question, uploaded the image to imgur and attached it here and BAM, the answer comes to me! L-)

• Up

LOL. I hope in the actual exams, when you all are stuck in a question. Think of this process and typing up a question to 300Hours. And *-:) !

• Up

so are we having a rockband post exams?

• Up

@SidMenon you are right about that -.- (so damn expensive) but if you are passionate about music and have the chance go for it!
                          What I find most interesting about music is that it is something that still has a lot of information is still passed from student to teacher orally. Sure you can find basic information online but I’ve learned all the interesting stuff in class especially technique.

• Up

@lulu123 maybe I will next time

@SidMenon that would be cool but I still have a long way to go before I get there.

• Up

@SidMenon that is so cool, so badass!
                          I am learning the piano which apparently requires more technical knowledge o.O or something and I am not part of a band so no pressure. Plus since most theory is based on a piano I thought it was a natural extension of my music education. Maybe when I am bored when I am older I might just do the RCM and become a qualified piano teacher ….because why not…lol

@Sophie
                          I am not that good, I started practicing the piano less than a year ago and studying for the CFA exams has done me no favours. I aspire to be as cool as Sung Ha Jung

@SidMenon I find the youtube video’s confusing…maybe I am just not a good self-learner

Viewing 23 reply threads
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.