Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

CFA Events Calendar

View full calendar

Recommended Discussions

See how our partners can help you ace your CFA exams.

Question of the Week: Level 3 - Ethics

Roger Linstrom is a financial advisor with Perón & Co. and is well respected in his community.  A local children’s charity has asked him to speak at one of their fundraisers.  The director of the charity made it clear to Linstrom that, although only about 65% of the money donated goes directly to help the children, he would appreciate it if Linstrom said that the percentage is “about 90%”.  If Linstrom complies with the director’s request, Linstrom will most likely have:

Question of the Week: Level 3 - Ethics 5 votes

A. violated Standard I(D) Misconduct.
80% 4 votes
B. not violated Standard I(D) because the charity work is not related to his profession as a financial advisor.
0% 0 votes
C. not violated Standard I(D) because both “about 90%” and “directly helping the children” are vague and open to interpretation.
20% 1 vote

Comments

• MarkMeldrumMarkMeldrum OntarioPosts: 73 Associate
    The correct answer is Option A.

If Linstrom makes the statement that the amount is about 90% when he knows it to be 65% – especially with the intent to increase donations of money – his statement if fraudulent, and may well be illegal.  Such actions compromise his integrity, which is a violation of Standard I(D).

Note that the fraud does not have to be related to his profession.