CFA CFA Level 1 Practice exam scores…

Practice exam scores…

• Author
      Participant
        • Undecided
        Up
        ::

Started at 57.5%, but now got a 63% and 65%. Progress!

I’m guessing everyone else is busy studying?

• Up

@hairyfairy how many?

Participant
          • Undecided
          Up

I do one on Saturday and look it over on Sunday. I take about 2.5 hours to finish a paper if I work solidly, but I’m not doing it under exam conditions so it extends to about 3-4 hours (breaks, gazing off into space, so on). Hopefully I can do another one over the space of the work week, and I’m taking the last week off so I’ll cram then as well.

What’s your strategy for the last month? Obviously different levels but nice to know what everyone’s strategy is 🙂

Participant
            • CFA Level 2
            Up

On a completely different note, I’ve been wanting to say this for a while now since I’m at 99 likes 😛

If you’re havin’ badge problems, I feel bad for you son. I got 99 likes, but a glitch ain’t one.

I know, i know. It makes no sense 8-}

• Up

Nice one @swift, well done!

What is difficulty level like for Elan vs. Schweser? That statement assumes that someone has done both, which I havent (Elan didn’t exist in my time) 🙂

Participant
              • CFA Level 2
              Up

I will let you know on Wednesday @hairyfairy. Will wrap up my revision from the Elan guide on Tuesday (along with side by side Schweser quizzes) and will jump right into the practice exams after that.

Participant
                • CFA Level 2
                Up

Haha @Diya. It is helping me belly belly nicely. So i’m belly grateful for your advice ^_^

Keymaster
                  • CFA Charterholder
                  Up

Mutual back-scratchers lol

• Up

LOL, I’m just happy go lucky and find everything funny!

Participant
                    • CFA Level 2
                    Up

@Zee Really embarrassing ones too. In one question, i calculated the right answer but ended up choosing the wrong option because I saw “X greater than Y” as “Y greater than X” 8-X

@Sophie
                    Thanks. I’m going to use that time as efficiently as possible!

• Up

I find the Elan mocks to be harder than the Schweser mocks. They tend to use a lot more conceptual questions which require more understanding of the LOS rather than just plug & chug. They’re good for testing your understanding of the material I don’t think that they’re representative of the actual exam difficulty (based off the CFA mock anyway). One of the things that I find really annoying with the Elan mocks though is the number of “consider the following statements” questions. Its a cheap strategy to include two topic areas in one question and make the exam seem more difficult than it probably is.

Schweser mocks seem to be more well rounded, possibily with a slight skew towards plug & chug/memorization questions. The CFA mock probably sits between the two so its probably a good strategy to do mocks from both.

Participant
                      • Undecided
                      Up

67%. I’ll hurl myself off my balcony now.

Participant
                        • Undecided
                        Up

@diya Well I’ve got 4 more sitting around looking at me. I should at least finish all of them – hope to do a few more on top of that. Aim to average 2 a week.

• Up

That is intense.
                        If you are doing 2 a week how much time have you set aside to review your practice exam?
                        If you don’t mind me asking how long does it take you to finish? The full three hours per session?

• Up

@hairyfairy

the scores you give are for full length mock exams or what?
                        because depending on the exam you try, the length will be different and so your score may be influenced.

so I’m wondering when people say “I got 70%”, did they do it in one long seating, 240 questions type of thing or how haha

Participant
                          • CFA Level 2
                          Up

Well, i did my first 3 hour session. Got exactly the same as @hairyfairy’s first go i.e. 57.5%. But i’ve made a list of all the mistakes I’ve made and am currently re-touching upon those topics. Will do my second session tomorrow which will make it 1 full practice exam.

Man, i made quite a few stupid mistakes. And when i look at the solution, I’m like, “What was i thinking?” L-)

• Up

It’s better to have good time mgmt at the start, so well done on that @sidmenon. In the exams i’m sure you’ll use that 1 hour remaining wisely to check through and reduce the mistake

Participant
                            • CFA Level 2
                            Up

And yes, i’ll keep more than one reminder this time for the contest tomorrow night 😛

• Up

@SidMenon problem solved. On your profile click on Like to see who has been liking your stuff….

• Up

@Zee I don’t think I am liberal enough with likes and lols’
                            I’m so stingy T.T
                            I think I will be following Sophie’s lead

Participant
                              • Undecided
                              Up

57.5% high five @sidmenon? Lol

Hopefully we’ll pass together too!

• Up

Yeah @Diya, I notice the same thing…I think I know the formula, then I try a practice question and get it wrong for one reason or another. Practice practice practice.

• Up

@SidMenon I’m touched that you are following my advice. It makes me feel so warm and fuzzy inside.

Participant
                                • CFA Level 2
                                Up

@hairyfairy =; right back at you! 😛

Yeah, we’ll definitely pass together 😀

• Up

I did the CFA mock today and got 80% across the two papers. Scores in each of the topic areas were quite consistent between the two papers which is a little reassuring. Going to go through the answers in more detail tomorrow and pick out the areas I need to work on more. But then I think I might take the rest of the weekend off…

For anyone interested in the difficulty I would say that its more Schweser level than Elan.

• Up

On the same token, DO NOT rest if you’re getting good mock scores. Again, you want no surprises on game day.

• Up

@Swift I think I like Schweser more (and I have never used Elan) because it is more quantitative. I learn the concepts well on the first go and then have to work out all the formulas later. Sometimes I’d even have the formula memorized, write it down beside the question and still get the question wrong. For me the only way to get a hang of the formulas is do lots of questions… which Schweser has in ample.

• Up

Awesome start there @hairyfairy, do you tend to monitor them by topic? I recall doing those questions online sometime ago and having it checked automatically, with notifications of weak topic areas to be a big plus!

Participant
                                  • Undecided
                                  Up

@sophie no I don’t really. I just go through the questions and move on. I have a ton of practice exams to do!

Participant
                                    • CFA Level 2
                                    Up

I’ve been noticing that you’ve been accelerating my like count recently 😛

Participant
                                      • CFA Level 2
                                      Up

Also, surprisingly, i took just 2 hours to finish all 120 questions. Maybe i need to spend more time on certain questions and read them carefully to prevent further stupid errors.

Keymaster
                                        • CFA Charterholder
                                        Up

Well, i did my first 3 hour session. Got exactly the same as @hairyfairy’s first go i.e. 57.5%. But i’ve made a list of all the mistakes I’ve made and am currently re-touching upon those topics. Will do my second session tomorrow which will make it 1 full practice exam.

Man, i made quite a few stupid mistakes. And when i look at the solution, I’m like, “What was i thinking?” L-)

When I went through the exams I also thought sometimes that quite a few of them were below the belt…

Participant
                                          • CFA Level 2
                                          Up

Just finished my second three-hour practice exam. And i’m relieved to have gotten 70.83% despite the fact that i found this one tougher than the previous.

Going to make a list of the mistakes I’ve made and then off to enjoying the rest of the weekend 😀 Back on Monday to touch on those topics that I made errors in.

• Up

Good points @Swift, thanks for sharing your thoughts on the style of these providers with us all, I’m sure it’ll be useful for the rest 🙂

• Up

In general, If you’re confident in your preparedness and then get rocked on a mock, you should consider this a very positive thing, not something to get down about. The more surprises you see before “game day”, the more prepared you’ll be. I try to make it my goal to be stumped as much as possible the month before the exam (and then learn from it, of course).

Viewing 34 reply threads
                                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.