Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

CFA Events Calendar

View full calendar

CFA Events Calendar

View full calendar

Recommended Discussions

See how our partners can help you ace your CFA exams.

pre-CFA & pre-FRM

daved10daved10 Pre-CFAGermanyPosts: 2 Associate

Hello, 

I am 32 and currently unemployed. Have an MSc degree. Searching for a job since last 4 years. Now, I want to switch to Finance and planning to do FRM L 1 in 05.2021 and CFA L 1 08.2021. 

Do I stand a chance, considering my age, to get an entry level position in the industry?

Looking forward to your answers.

Thank you.

Dave

Comments

• What were you doing before?

• daved10daved10 Pre-CFA GermanyPosts: 2 Associate

I worked in Quality management for a refrigerator company. The manufactured refrigerators must follow the EU energy standards.

No experience in finance field. I am Physics graduate and have solid Maths and Programming foundation.

• @daved10 - is there any specific field in finance you want to go for? It is important to understand your motivation here for a career in finance (and which part). Getting a CFA charter is not a golden ticket to jobs, so I'm worried you're spending extra time and money and not getting what you really want to achieve with this.

Honestly speaking - and I don't mean to be a naysayer - the current employment market is not looking great for all, and finance is an extremely competitive field as is. The 4 year unemployment gap can be an easy target to discount your application, and age may be an issue too with graduates flooding the market.

Switching career and/or job function is never a one-step thing, and usually people achieve one change at a time (i.e. switch job function but different sector, or switch sector but holding the same job function). I wonder whether you would be able to leverage your math/programming background to get into the finance sector to start (but not your ideal job function)?

Lots of food for thought here, and not enough information.