CFA CFA General Career Insider Chat: MattyC, Financial Advisor

Career Insider Chat: MattyC, Financial Advisor

• Author
      Keymaster
        • CFA Charterholder
        Up
        ::
        Career Insider Chat: MattyC, Financial Advisor

Posted by Zee This is the 4th post of our new series to 300 Hours – Career Insider Chats , where we interview some of our readers, and get an inside look into their careers, as well as what drives…

Read the full story here

• Up

500 looks like a lot of people, specially if they need to be wealthy to clasify as clients. I don’t even have 500 contacts in facebook, and I used to accept a lot of friend invitations of people that didn’t know (for many years)… How do you manage to get 500 contacts?

Participant
          • CFA Charterholder
          Up

@microeconomist, I’d say it depends on how many of those attorneys will be ready to refer you some clients. And to clarify the percentage of time allocated to my two main functions, you spend much of your time prospecting in the beginning but as you establish yourself and grow your practice client servicing becomes the primary focal point. Lastly, I can officially act as a client fiduciary in certain cases for example if I am the Trustee or Executor on an estate but it is not the norm.

Participant
            • CFA Charterholder
            Up

Hi Dan,

Starting with 500 qualified leads may seem daunting but its not unreasonable. I worked with many business owners and other professionals so I was able to bring my contact list with me. If you havn’t had time to build a contact list there is an entire industry of qualified lead list providers that can customize a list for you for a fee. As far as prospecting on facebook, I would warn against being to aggressive with friends and family. Its important that they know what services you can provide but some people just dont want to mix business with family or friendships.

• Avatar of microeconomistmicroeconomist
            Participant
              • Undecided
              Up

Nice article, I’ve spent many nights strolling Wildwood. I know more attorneys than I care to admit; any opinion on how big the rolodex should get before opening an office (non-franchise) if directly advising clients only constitutes 50% of operations. Also, does mattyc act as a client fiduciary? Thank you for the informative article.

Viewing 4 reply threads
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.