CFA CFA General The Honeymoon Phase

The Honeymoon Phase

• Author
      ::

I’ve been on a high in the last few days. Buzzing with the satisfaction of having passed Level II, I am now in the honeymoon phase of my preparation for Level III. I felt the same way in January this year, when I got my Level I results. I’ve signed up already for the 2014 exam (why wait?) and ordered the print curriculum. This is the second-best period in CFA exam preparation — the beginning, when you’re excited, looking at the list of topics and relishing the thought of learning all those things, planning your study schedule and enjoying the prospect of the triumph that will surely come (or so you think). The best period is the one after the exam, when you’re done with the miserable, wretched thing at last!

But for now, my vision is completely rose-tinted. I can’t wait for the books to arrive. I muddled through somehow with the e-books on my tiny laptop for Levels I and II, but this time I want to do things ‘properly’. Besides, there appear to be a lot more text passages to read for Level III, and that’ll be easier with print books.

Oh yeah, this time it’ll be different. I’ll be totally organised, I’ll proceed methodically through every reading and do every problem, I’ll come to know the entire syllabus like the back of my hand and I won’t be stressed out at all! Wait a minute, isn’t this what I thought when I started preparing for Level II, only to turn into a pitiful, nervous wreck in May?

Er, well … enjoy the honeymoon while it lasts, everyone!

Keymaster
        • CFA Charterholder
        Up

There is no honeymoon phase if you’re helping CFA candidates pass though…. 🙁

I do know what you mean. All your materials are shiny-new, there’s no dread of the exams (yet), there’s lots of time to study… enjoy the phase! 😉

• Up

Thanks people! Let’s see if my future blog posts remain as upbeat!

• Avatar of BeanCounterBeanCounter
        Participant
          • CFA Charterholder
          Up

The honeymoon period really is nice – has the material arrived yet? I’ve got the Allen guides, were a very good deal at just £14 for the whole curriculum on the iOS app.

Participant
            • CFA Level 3
            Up

Congrats @MockTurtle !

@sophie
            I can’t wait to get my hands on L3, get it over and done with. At the same time, i’m dreading the “no life” period.

• Up

Enjoy the next 3 months off before you even think about starting @vincentt 🙂

Participant
              • Undecided
              Up

I’m enjoying mine!

• Up

Definitely definitely get the real books for LIII – I breezed through LI and LII on Schweser notes and just used the ebooks as a supplement for LIII…. failed band 10, the morning paper was a disaster in particular and I absolutely thinkg that having the proper physical books to read through in detail would make a difference.

Participant
                • Undecided
                Up

@zee will the results analysis be out say before November?

• Up

@MockTurtle, I’m waiting for you and @vincentt to ace it in 18 months then 😉

• Up

Woohoo @mockturtle! =D> =D> =D>

Keymaster
                  • CFA Charterholder
                  Up

I’d be interested to talk to a member that did well on the morning session and what they did to master essays – candidates in general tend to get destroyed in the essay section and understanding how to ace it might be super key to passing L3…

• Up

Useless fact that may be of some interest and is at best tangentially related to this blog post.

A honeymoon is called such because:
                  honey – sweet and
                  moon – fades quickly.

Thank you for your 10 seconds. ^-^

• Up

@sarah that’s an awesome factoid 🙂

Keymaster
                    • CFA Charterholder
                    Up

Also a big welcome to our newest Community Blogger! =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>

Participant
                      • CFA Charterholder
                      Up

Congrats @Mockturtle! Glad we are doing L3 together with a bunch of others here 🙂

Participant
                        • CFA Level 3
                        Up

@Sophie yeah enjoy while it last….I might consider starting somewhere in Dec since i would expect at least 2-3 weeks down time in Feb 14 (CNY period).

• Up

I really like your blog’s mini-icon!

Keymaster
                          • CFA Charterholder
                          Up

@BeanCounter how is the quality? Did you use them for L1?

• Up

@Zee: I think I did better in the morning..I have given in my results for analysis.

• Up

we are already looking forward to your next post @mockturtle!

Viewing 20 reply threads
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.