CFA CFA General CFA Institute/Society membership

CFA Institute/Society membership

• Author
      ::

One of the first things I did after clearing level 1 was start the process to become a member of the CFA Institute and my local society.

I am currently awaiting approval/feedback from my supervisor before submitting the application. Just curious if others have started down this path. And to the ones who are already members, any benefits you didn’t foresee?

• Up

Can someone tell me how to go about it? I am looking to Join Indian Society.

• Up

@sankrutimehta Depends from person to person, how you use it and the helpfulness of the society members. I have found it useful. Not that I’ve landed job through networking (I feel my networking skills aren’t great), but you’ll meet people, attend events, etc.

The events are insightful, not all but most of them or the topics that you are interested in. You might also come across some unpleasant ppl, after conversing with whom you might feel discouraged (have experienced this), but thats something you will find in any social/professional set up.

All in all, I feel you should apply for both the CFA Institute and the society membership. The latter helps you to find references for the CFA Institute membership application. Its a good thing to have people already established in the business to back your membership app., makes things easier.

Do you have 4years of experience? If yes, then you should apply for regular membership, else you can apply for affiliate membership.

• Up

@sankrutimehta Follow that link. Also, if you have any questions on experience, criteria or need references for the application,
      send an email to secretary@india.cfasociety.org

• Up

I’m already in the investment industry and work with charterholders. But my networking outside of the workplace is sorely lacking. Hopefully, membership in the local society will help kickstart that avenue for me.

• Up

I became a member (‘candidate member’) of my local CFA society.

Keymaster
        • CFA Charterholder
        Up

You’d just use the same page globally, here: http://www.cfainstitute.org/community/membership/process/Pages/index.aspx

Keymaster
          • CFA Charterholder
          Up

@trust21 if you’re working or looking to break into the investment industry, then a membership will help. Consider attending events, or volunteering to be a committee member. The latter is especially effective!

• Up

@Zee @AjFinance: thanks guys!! Just a step backwards…is the membership of great use?

Viewing 8 reply threads
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.