Career Discussions CFA career path structure

CFA career path structure

• Author
      ::

Hello everyone

I’m an economics major heading into my last year, and I’m trying to figure out the best course for my future career path.
      I recently discovered the CFA qualification and I’ve fallen in love with the idea of being an analyst, but I’m having trouble understanding the structure of the financial sector.
      I was wondering what intro position titles are so that I can figure out where to direct my job search, most of the openings I keep finding seem to be for those with work experience so I assume i’m searching the wrong thing, as well as what the differences are between the different branches in the indusrty; ex. Fixed income vs investment vs hedge fund

I would appreciate it if anyone could point me in the right direction on where to find information on this kinda of thing.
      Thank you for your time

• Up

Thank you for your help @Sophie
      I think asset management and securities are what I am trying to hone in on, I’ll take a look at the guide too 🙂

I was also wondering if there are any courses I should take or skills that I should be developing, both for my career and the exam.

• Up

Hello,

I am also curious as to which additional skills and expertise should i develop in order to improve my CV will also give me a competitive edge while looking for jobs

• Up

Hi @Thatch, welcome to 300HC 🙂

Analyst can mean different things in different sub-sectors of finance. I assume you mean something in Asset Management or securities research?

We have members here who work in asset management, investment banking, private equity, research, trading etc – so the world’s your oyster!

Another thing I’d recommend is the Wall Street Oasis career guides, that’s pretty useful and up to date for interviews. Hope these help!

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.