CFA CFA Level 2 Restarting Level 2 – my declaration of war

Restarting Level 2 – my declaration of war

• Author
      ::

Failed last year – that was pretty unexpected and also a terrible feeling. A lot of us aren’t used to failing so it’s pretty crap to experience it and not easy to think about redoing the whole thing all over again.

It’s tough, but I’ve decided to go back at it for Level 2. Figured that I have an advantage this time since I spent all of last year studying Level 2 as well. Starting earlier this year to take no chances.

Bring it on!!!!!

• Up

That’s true @Fabian @robgeoalc first attempt was pretty good experience this time I bet you gonna make it. This is my first attempt Level II, I like to hear inspired guys like you to get motivated. I wish you best of luck guys, lets get this thing going!!!!

• Up

That’s the spirit @fabian, @robgeoalc! Never, ever, ever, ever, give up 🙂
      =D>

Participant
        • CFA Level 2
        Up

fabian, you are not alone! I also failed level 2 last June, having got the magical ‘congratulations’ email in late January for level 1 I decided to go straight into level 2, getting the ‘we regret to inform you’ email in July was a real kick in the minerals.. but I too have picked myself up and have already started studying for 2014.. Hope the studies go well for you.. Bring it on indeed!

• Up

Ah, my old post. Am feeling pretty good for this time around!

Keymaster
          • CFA Charterholder
          Up

@toeknee9121‌ so you’ll have one month for review/practice exams? If so, I think it is possible, but L2 is very tough. I think the key dependency is how well you would have covered the syllabus at T-1 month: if you largely do not need to review the curriculum and can proceed to practice exams fully, it should be fine.

But put in extra effort all the same, because – L2!! Hope that helps.

• Up

Props to those who have had to retake it and passed. Shows character!

Participant
            • CFA Level 3
            Up

@fabian i relate to the failing experience but i am really not the person to boost to write the exam. i have got dinged twice at level 2. once straight after level 1 result in jan 2012 and in 2013 again… @robgeoalc

i have been thinking of writing it again but i don’t think i am left with any hope and perseverance for Level 2 preparation again for the third time ! esp cause every time i spoil ethics and now i am starting to get averse against it..

if you all, @Sophie can help me then may be my level 2 will ever see the light…

Participant
              • Undecided
              Up

Failed L1 in June but retaking this year – feeling better than the last time so hopefully this works out! Want to catch the June 2014 L2 train…

• Up

@sethneha you have to keep trying if only for the reason that when you pass it will feel that much sweeter with the adversity you had to face with the fails.

I took Level 1 in 2008, 2009, 2012 and 2013. In 2008, I opened a book for a few pages and I didn’t even show up to write the exam. In 2009, I read only 2 books, wrote the exam and failed. In 2012 I read all the books but had a couple of days until the exam, so I only did half a practice exam and failed with a score band of 10. In June 2013 I passed getting over 70% in all but two sections where I got between 50-70%. Now, I’m registered for Level 2 2014.

All this to say, the feeling when I saw that e-mail that said “Congratulations, you passed Level 1” validated all the fails and motivated me to get the CFA Charter.

So please @sethneha, don’t give up. Because when it comes down to it, you know you want the CFA charter and the 3 letters after your name.

• Up

@zee @fabian‌ @Sophie‌ O wanted to hear your take on something.

I have been traveling on an engagement in Chicago for the past 3 weeks. In short, the all-nighters have really taken a bite out of my studies and the habits I tried to roll over into L2 from L1. I am not making excuses here, I have ~65 hours of study accumulated thus far. I am taking a CFA local chapter course with Kaplan material. The course is proving to be a HUGE help in keeping me on track. I finally caught up to the class, however, at the expense of practice exams. I have tackled the kaplan book questions only and not the CFAI ones yet. Am I screwed or what?

To give you an idea, my class is wrapping up FRA this week, as am I. The course ends with one-month to go for review. If I stay the course and keep up with my class (using it to reinforce material I just read), hit the kaplan notes questions and a Q bank quiz here and there, will I be well versed enough to begin hardcore review in May and pass in your opinion?

Thanks guys!

Viewing 10 reply threads
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.