Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

CFA Events Calendar

View full calendar

CFA Events Calendar

View full calendar

Recommended Discussions

See how our partners can help you ace your CFA exams.

Level II Candidates pressure cooker (letting off steam!)

2»

Comments

• jasdevjasdev LondonPosts: 84 Sr Associate
    I hear you! It's really starting to drag now, even though I'm only on Level II.
  • rsparksrsparks MelbournePosts: 80 Sr Associate
    Well, i'm starting to lose steam, but trying to stay strong for another 6 weeks. I have a chartered accountant exam in a week. I enjoy cfa so it is hard to switch from studying cfa to accounting but I've reviewed about 5 cfa topics now. I have the next week off for the CA exam (and a bit of CFA too). I've cone two half mock exams..... slowly getting there....

i'm looking forward to 3.5 months off before i have to start studying again. i currently have one tab Vitalsource and one tab flights to Fiji.....
    Jesus Christ! What possessed you to pursue two qualifications at once?
    Fiji sounds like a just reward after this! Good luck!
    T-7 days!
    How are people doing?
    I see enough about mock exam scores elsewhere on the web, I want to know how many others have been medicating themselves with alcohol to ease the pain :D
    Cheers @Jasdev . I passed my CA exam and I feel pretty good about my chances on sat's exam. I had two weeks off before and studied 10-12 hours everyday...i didn't feel well two of those days as I was going so hard. I read the entire curriculum; did all the blue box example; did all the topic tests, watched videos on all the topics; did flash cards and a few mocks. My life over the last year has been CFA level 1, 3 x CA exams and then CFA level 2 exam.

Interestingly, I went past a church and saw 'holy' and my brain automatically went to Ho-Lee...then saw the word Pastor outside and thought pastor stambaugh...as I walked down a street named Gordon...then on to a street named Cox.....

If I can pass both, I will buy you a flight to fiji as well haha. This will be based on prior performance and not an indicator of future reward :P. Anyway, how'd you find it? I am hoping people find it incredibly hard for a better chance. I would just hate to fail band 10.....There were times when i was like I know exactly where this is in the text book, but didn't have a clue on the answer. I didn't find it that much harder than level 1 either. I thought it was very straight forward. Personally, I like answering 120 questions instead of 240 questions but the risk for missing is greater.

• rsparks said:
    I didn't find it that much harder than level 1 either. I thought it was very straight forward. Personally, I like answering 120 questions instead of 240 questions but the risk for missing is greater.

I found L2 deceptively tougher precisely because it's difficult in a different way compared to L1. L1 was about being short of time DURING the exam, whereas I found that I couldn't learn the entire L2 syllabus in time for the exam...
    rsparks
    I'm with hairyfairy. Despite my efforts, I was unable to finish learning the curriculum in time for the exam, and there were a few too many questions I couldn't answer, so I had to guess quite often.

I didn't find it as difficult as some of the Topic Tests or mock exams I've taken, though, so that was a relief.

I've resolved to just forget about it and enjoy four months off, including the freedom to meet friends, read fiction, watch TV and go bouldering again!

And haha, sounds like your subconscious is just crying out for that Fiji trip!
    rsparks
    @hairyfairy I completely agree with that assessment. I started reading the level 2 curriculum in mid-Sept (I also did the two CA subjects) and it took me till end of march or first week April to finish all the readings. If you start in January, there's no way to get through all of them in time. I would do scheweser notes and blue boxes. I just want to debunct any myth that CFA level is that hard...it's not that much more difficult. If you can pass level 1, you can pass them all. I always kept hearing that level 2 was so hard. 

im looking forward to reading, going to a movie tonight and planning my Fiji trip. I opened Facebook after a month and funny to see all the things I missed. Going on a day trip with my study group this weekend. Good to be getting back to life. 

Im not 100% sure I'll pass or band 10. One thing about CFA  charterholders and some of us, is being tenacious. After 8 months of studying, I could still fail. I accept that. Will sign up again. However, there are more important things in life than any exam you'll take. Let's just enjoy these few months :)
    policedogjasdev
  • rsparks said:

Im not 100% sure I'll pass or band 10. One thing about CFA  charterholders and some of us, is being tenacious. After 8 months of studying, I could still fail. I accept that. Will sign up again. However, there are more important things in life than any exam you'll take. Let's just enjoy these few months :)
    Hear hear. I'm not really utilizing my qualification right now, but I'm really glad I went through it. I might also go back into asset management, you never know. I prize this more than my degree - it seems to have helped my adult life more!
    How did everyone do?
    I failed this time. It's not the end of the world though. I will retake next year and hopefully pass by applying a different study technique!
    @jasdev I ended up failing too, band 10. I passed my CA exam though....I got pissed off and signed up for FRM and passed that and also did another CA exam haha. I am hitting CFA again next weekend. Time to get back on the horse. Now I have to way up my last CA exam on 12 June or do it in November. It would mean being a CA in July vs November. If CFA did not change the exam schedule, I would do it as I rather put more energy in an exam that is once a year and then shift to CA ....but they moved the date for religious reasons and religiously screwed with my plan......c'est la vie though

funnily enough, I heard people had to change their wedding days and plans after CFA moved the date.
  • rsparks said:
    funnily enough, I heard people had to change their wedding days and plans after CFA moved the date.
    Sounded crazy to me on first read, but then on second thoughts it makes a lot of sense. Can't imagine trying to handle a wedding and CFA.

Sorry to hear your attempt last year failed. On the bright side Band 10, so not much to go!
  • tolly66tolly66 Framingham, MAPosts: 7 Associate
    One tip to everyone...save ethics for the end of your studies b/c it's all memorization and it best to have that material fresh in your head. 

Also, I'm already feeling the loneliness of studying for Level 2, while job hunting. It sucks because at times I wonder if all these study hours are really worth it, but we shall see...
    Before I knew about the revised date, my sister organised her wedding for the weekend (or two weekends) before the usual exam date, I was horrified but she couldn't find another suitable day for the majority of our family to attend. The additional few weeks to study have actually been a lifesaver!

Band 4 last year, band 8 this year? xD
    I think if I can't pass on this attempt I'm sorely tempted to take a break from the CFA Program, it's been three years and I don't remember what life is like without studying every evening after work.
    Yo!

i just finished the exam in Australia. I’m guessing USA is about to start their day. I honestly felt like it was a cake walk this year! Maybe too much study but I didn’t want to be band 10 again. I did my final CA paper 1.5 weeks ago. Now it’s time to watch the World Cup and catch-up on Netflix.. Good Luck Jasdev! 
    jasdev
  • archiearchie NYCPosts: 2 Associate
    Hi, I am planning on taking CFA level 2 June 2019. As a head start, I was thinking of starting with Equity, Quant now. 2019 L2 books are not yet released. Is there anyone in this group who took L2 recently? Do you have an e-book that you can share with me for Quant and/or Equity? Thanks.
  • archie said:
    Hi, I am planning on taking CFA level 2 June 2019. As a head start, I was thinking of starting with Equity, Quant now. 2019 L2 books are not yet released. Is there anyone in this group who took L2 recently? Do you have an e-book that you can share with me for Quant and/or Equity? Thanks.
    It's way too early to be starting now for L2. Plus the material might change a lot with the news of the new material coming in, just wait a few more weeks!
    jasdev
    policedog said:
    archie said:
    It's way too early to be starting now for L2. Plus the material might change a lot with the news of the new material coming in, just wait a few more weeks!
    yeah, way too early. Prep Provides will release 2019 material in September (i believe). 
    jasdev
    Arrrrrrrrgggggghhhhhhhh I passed!
    I think I'd have quit if I hadn't passed on my 2nd attempt.
    Now to enjoy two more months of freedom until I become a hermit again for Level III...

(PS. was anyone else trying to check the actual website over and over again to confirm they had actually passed? I couldn't shake the suspicion that I'd received a spoof email!)
    policedog
  • FINALLY PASSED WOOHOO!!!!! 3rd attempt would you believe it.

L3 and finish line here I come!
    jasdev
  • jasdev said:
    Arrrrrrrrgggggghhhhhhhh I passed!
    I think I'd have quit if I hadn't passed on my 2nd attempt.
    Now to enjoy two more months of freedom until I become a hermit again for Level III...

(PS. was anyone else trying to check the actual website over and over again to confirm they had actually passed? I couldn't shake the suspicion that I'd received a spoof email!)
    Congrats! I'm also trying but website is super slow.
    jasdev
    Congrats! Passed as well. super stoked and did incredibly well...i can't believe it either haha. See you guys in L3 forum. This thread has been great haha. 
    jasdevpolicedog
  • Nice @rsparks! I kind of scraped through to be honest, haha.